not sure where to put this but i was scared when i was told(Venting)

not sure where to post this

my nephew went out to feed our dogs and we been having issues with snakes this year. usually they are the poisonous ones out in the back field. and we have had others since all the flooding and it seems frogs have also become abundant. my daughter saw a black snake a week ago. anyway he picked up his dogs water bowl and there was a snake under it was not huge dogs did not seem afraid he got a shovel and killed it then asked me what kind lol i said i can't tell you because its all chopped up around the head asked if it had a pointed head he said i think so but not sure it kept moving so i kept chopping then threw it in the burn pile. i hate snakes it frightens me that we are seeing so many this year and with all the poisionous ones out here to i am afraid to let my kids go out there. I can't bring the dogs in as it is my father in laws house. :(

sherryb1273

Asked by sherryb1273 at 3:07 PM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Pets

• I'm not sure about how to keep snakes at bay. I do know that you should be able to tell what type of snake it is by its skin as well as its tail. Around here in Michigan snakes have been known to hide in rock piles, pipes, and wood piles. They also like the tall grassy areas. But then again we also have water snakes. Usually if your larger animals are not afraid of them then they probably are alright to be around. Most other animals can sense danger and will let you know of it. Otherwise, good luck and maybe contact someone local that can help you with this.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 10:47 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• wow thats horrible i woul be scare to imo i would keep my kids playing inside or outside after im sure they are not any around their playign area. and make sure just in case you knwo what you have to do in case they where to get biten maybe you can ask their doctor so that way yu know what to do if anythign where to happenhopefully nothing happens
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 3:10 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I just saw a show on this a few weeks ago. I cant remember the name of it, but these two guys take on really dangerous situations. Anyway, they got rid of a lot of loose debris in the area, cause this family had been hit by hurricaine Katrina and they had lots of wood piling in this one area. They also sprayed this stuff around thats like a snake repellant and causes them to vacate. Check in your phone book and see what kind of exterminators are there and if they have referrals for this. I know it does exsist, just dont know if its available.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 3:19 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I have heard that moth balls will repell snakes - but they will also keep the ones you have in. If you are out in the country free range chickens will eat small snakes.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:39 PM on Aug. 22, 2010