Do you think your child's school system supports your child's individual needs?

My daughters school don't seem to be willing to go out of there way to be understanding about her missing school due to her depression.

twebb21

Asked by twebb21 at 6:42 PM on Oct. 8, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Be sure you apply for what's call a 504. My daughter has one and it's wonderful. It's covered under the American's with Disabilities Act. And, the school MUST make reasonable accomodations for your daughter. One mom told me her son was able to get classes that started later because of his 504. Also, there's something called Parity Law which classifies depression as a biological illness. This makes it a lot easier to get accomodations. Let me know if you need any help.
    WD40

Answer by WD40 at 7:20 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• The schools here don't really care about my child's individual needs. So now I home-school.
    rivmom

Answer by rivmom at 9:19 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Same as rivmom my son is advanced for his age and the school wouldn't work with him and his learning needs so now we homeschool too.
    little.miss.mom

Answer by little.miss.mom at 11:22 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Nope, they don't. How can they, really? One teacher for every 20-30 students? It's a wonder anything gets done.

So, like the 2 PPs, I homeschool.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 10:19 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Nope, they couldnt care less.
    JacyB

Answer by JacyB at 5:19 PM on Jun. 29, 2010