fashion police ? :)

My SO has been annoying me lately with his choice of clothing. About 6 months ago I told him that his daily attire was embarrassing to me, very loose pants, not sagging low, but too big clearly, and same for the shirts. He has a smaller, muscular frame so wearing larger clothes just made him look skinny.

Well he said that he noticed that but he couldn't afford to buy anything new so I went and bought him some nice shirts that he liked from Macy's and some, more fitted, pants.

Now again he is wearing this Huge shirt, that just hangs there, and some basketball shorts. Maybe I'm being shallow but this look just pisses me off. I refuse to leave the house with him looking like that, If I have to get dressed he has to, that's it.
Am I being to Picky?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:13 PM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Throw that huge stuff away! If he only has the decent stuff to wear,he'll have to wear it or go naked! I see men out in ridiculous clothes and think"how could his wife let him leave the house looking like that!?" How our spouse looks is a reflection on us.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:51 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• you know what i've learned in 5 short years of marriage? ain't nothing you say or do or buy for your grown-man gonna change his mind about what he thinks looks good or is comfortable, and you'd be better off spending your time and money on something like scrubbing bathroom grout.
    you're not going to change him, so stop trying. is he clean? is he happy? is his clothing in good-repair(not holey, stained, torn)? then leave him alone and let him be. my dh tells me all the time, ''honey, you always look so good. you know how to put clothes together and look so stylish!''..well, it ain't hard, compared to what he i insists on wearing. but i grew tired of trying to dress a grown-man. he'll come to me everyday and ask, ''does this look good together?'', and no matter what i say, 9x outta 10, he'll go ahead and wear whatever he wants.
    don't try to change his style, OP. would you want him to try to change yours???
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:37 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• You are, and for one reason and one reason only. You should have taught him how to choose flattering clothing for himself and allowed him to choose his own clothes following the guidelines you taught him. The way you handled it, he had no vested interest in maintaining positive change.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 3:19 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Some of you like to jump to conclusions hhhmm LindaClement, If I was only with someone for looks it would be over.

And yes, maybe it would be better to walk around with a blow up doll. And to answer others, it's not holey, not tattered for the most part, but if he is going to walk around with me he has to be dressed, I'm not walking around next to some teenager, I'm walking next to a man so I kind of expect him to dress like one. It's the equivalent to a woman going out in PJ pants to me. and if I was wearing PJ pants he would probably tell me to get dressed as well.

Well anyway, he wanted me to go with him shopping, he had to go alone since he wanted to stay in his lounge attire.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:49 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I would feel like such a B!@#$ but I think it is time to throw them out, it's his stuff from freaking HS to top it off, pack rat. Good suggestion, maybe I'll give him some time limit to redo his clothing wardrobe.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:09 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• He is an adult all you can do is make suggestions. I have a mohawk or its just starting to grow. Maybe he wears what he feels best expresses him.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:32 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• No, he knows how to dress, he picked out his own clothes and they look great, he just reverts back, like an addict relapsing. And I don't bitch, I just refuse to go out with him, period.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:33 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• It appears to me that you're confused about where your body ends and everyone else on the planet's begins.

He is not you. You are not him. He can wear whatever he wants to, and you can wear whatever you want to. If being in control of what he wears is important to you, I would suggest dumping him and getting a blow up doll you can dress any way you like. Or perhaps you could hire a gigalo and send instructions?

If you're only with him because of what he looks like, clearly this relationship is over. Perhaps next time you look for someone you can add to your criteria 'someone who is as superficial as me.'
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:37 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I repeat, HOW ABOUT TEACHING THE MAN HOW TO DRESS?!? You didn't even let that happen, you were so busy being a control freak about what he's currently sporting that you blew a great chance to teach him.

I think you're correct about him not looking like a teenage slob, but for crying out loud, the way you're behaving it's as if you enjoy the fact that he doesn't have a clue so you can bitch about him.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 4:28 PM on Aug. 22, 2010