How do I get rid ofmy fleas .

We have bombed upstairs & downstairs atleast 4 times.We have cat,but we have done everything for her .Shes' sooo much better.We've have bought Raid for ticks & fleas.Any advice would be really appreciated!!! : ) Thanks!

bvannkissy

Asked by bvannkissy at 3:35 PM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Pets

• For starters...keep kitty indoors. You have to get through the cycle until all the eggs are gone. Keep giving kitty flea baths, one of the companies makes these devices that are nightlights and a tray with stickypads. The fleas are drawn to the light at night and stick on the pads. Sprinkle your carpets with borax and ground up rosemary, let it sit for 20 minutes and vacuum very slowly in both direction with a fresh vacuum cleaner bag. Dispose of the bag immediately out of the house. Remember to keep a flea collar in your vacuum cleaner bag to kill any little buggers you suck up. Vacuum your furniture...
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 3:48 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Yeah, once the cycle starts its hard to stop it, specially with this hot weather. Is this an inside pet or does it go outside too? Talk to your vet and see what they recommend in the way of flea medication. They might have something stronger then whats sold at the stores.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 3:39 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I wouldn't get rid of the cat. If the cat's gone, the fleas will just start in on you (if they haven't already...but it will be worse because you'll be all that's available). You don't want that...trust me, I've been there. :-\

Keep bombing, try different treatments for the cat herself, and definitely talk to her vet.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:45 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• why should she get rid of the cat? she wants to get rid of the FLEAS not the CAT!! I am having the same problem with my shih tzu dog that has allergies to fleas. I have tried everything except the bombs. Dawn dish soap isn't even working. I just keep bathing him. If you can help me out that would be great!
    cmadd

Answer by cmadd at 3:46 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I read somewhere that catnip helps rid your home of bugs. And your cat will be happy too ;)
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 3:48 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Did you do anything outside? Remember if they're inside then they're outside so you need to deal with both. Get an outside flea and tick spray and spray all around the house too.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 3:48 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• ...LOL... the Catnip will only make kitty a little stoned... won't help with the fleas... BUT, if you plant rosemary and thyme by your doors, it will keep the fleas from coming into your house.

WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 3:51 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Lavender the flower, or oil of lavender on cat or in door ways. Spray carpet with lavender oil
    Marigold flowers
    Vinegar spray, natural repellant , just make a bottle and spray the cat's fur, or rinse with it in tub.
    Cedar oil spray
    Pepper spray, or Pepper extract diluted in water. Crush hot red peppers and bake them, then sprinkle it between door posts.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 3:57 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Get some advantage,frontline or revolution and use it until you have a good frost. Those products though expensive are the safest and most effective flea preventative out there
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 6:51 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Frontline on the cat and SevenDust in yard and around the house. Vacuum and change bag each time to get rid of the eggs.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 7:03 PM on Aug. 22, 2010