If the Bible says to be submissive and obedient to your husband, does this mean he has the authority to punish if you do something wrong?

I know some women that are involved in Christian Domestic Discipline, and my fiance' has mentioned to me that he wants us to as well. Do you think there is any biblical basis of this, or is it implied with other scriptures? I amsecure in my faith and want to do the right thing, but am nervous too. Please let me know what you think or if you have any experience in this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:49 PM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• i think if you are stupid and mess up they should say so nt sayin gyou are just giving an example but i dont think it should go as far as punish i mean that could cross a line .. but i aways do as im told there is a reason god made them bigger stronger and yes smarter
    Anonymous

• No man has the right to punish his wife for doing something wrong. You may love him with all your heart but if he ever lays a hand on you get out and leave him. He isn't worth your love if he's going to punish you for doing something wrong. This doesn't sound much like a religion but more like a cult.
    sarahsmom

Answer by sarahsmom at 6:51 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• NOT EVEN CLOSE....I understand this scripture and to me, it calls the wife to be submissive to a CHRISTIAN husband who loves his wife as Christ loved and DIED for the church.......a dh who is being called by God will NEVER do this to his wife.....Dont let the devil tell your fiance' lies about this particular scripture......
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 6:52 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Christian Domestic Discipline is Wrong and Harmful to Both Husband and Wife:

In my last several posts I have given several reasons why Christian Domestic Discipline is wrong. In this post I will sum everything up.

Bible Verses that Say Christian Domestic Discipline is Wrong:

Ephesians 5:25
    Ephesians 5:27
    Ephesians 5:28
    Ephesians 5:29
    Ephesians 5:33
    Genesis 2:21-23
    Romans 5:8-10
    Romans 6:14
    Romans 6:23
    Matthew 22:34-40
    1 Corinthians 13 (specifically verses 4-7)
    1 Corinitiahs 6:19
    1 Corinthians 15:3b-5
    Exodus 20:7

alexsmomaubrys2

Answer by alexsmomaubrys2 at 7:07 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• more from above
    Permanent Physical Damage Caused by Christian Domestic Discipline:
    Sciatica – caused when the sciatic nerve which runs from your leg up into your buttocks, is damaged.
    Cellulitis – caused by bacteria entering the body through cracks or breaks in the skin.
    Note: Both of the above can be life threatening.
    Emotional Damage Caused by Christian Domestic Discipline:
    Low self esteem
    Depression
    Masochism
    Psychological distress
    Humiliation
    Shame
    Embarrassment
    Isolation
    Anger
    Loss of wife’s trust in Husband
    Problems with marriage
    alexsmomaubrys2

Answer by alexsmomaubrys2 at 7:12 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• and more
    Wife losses her own sense of morality and replaced it with fear
    Spiritual Consequences to Husband for Christian Domestic Discipline:
    By willfully missusing God’s name in vein, and by willifully damaging his wife phsycally, emotionally, and/or spiritually, the husband is in danger of spititual death. Romans 6:23 “For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in, Christ Jesus our Lord.”
    Physical Consequences to Husband for Christian Domestic Discipline:

alexsmomaubrys2

• and more
    In many countries including Canada and the USA, spousal abuse is a criminal offence, and can result in the husband getting a lengthy jail term. In Canada the penalty is 5 to 10 year. In the USA the penalty varies from state to state. Please note: I was unable to find penalties for other countries. If you know them in your country please leave a comment telling me what they are?
    As you can see Christian Domestic Discipline has physical, emotional and spiritual consequences to both Husband and Wife, and it is Biblically wrong. Participation in this activity can lead to physical and spiritual death.

alexsmomaubrys2

• I'm 100% behind all of the above biblical references. The bottom line: a man always respects his wife. If you are a Christian, the scriptures tell all of us (men and women) to embody Christ in their actions and deeds. I think this group was founded by men, who don't know what a REAL man is. Physical and verbal abuse is NEVER okay and women should not tolerate it from their SO.
    WD40

Answer by WD40 at 7:13 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• The bible calls the female a weaker vessel not a lesser vessel... A weaker vessel could be compared to a China Vase... You care for it and treat it delicately... Not toss it around because you think it's in the wrong spot...

Abuse is NEVER okay... Maybe you and your husband should talk to a minister or a priest... I can't imagine they would ever condone that type of thing!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:33 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• what exactly is christian domestic discipline? sounds like a fancy way of saying spousal abuse....just saying. but could someone please explain the details, i've never heard of it. thanx!
    beachmom0703

Answer by beachmom0703 at 7:44 PM on Oct. 8, 2008