What milk do you cook with?

My going to be MIL says she doesnt like the way the milk I need to go according to my WIC checks reacts when cooking with it. Is there that much difference between 1% and 2%milk while cooking? What type of milk do you prefer when cooking...say a cassarole or mac n cheese

Shani527

Asked by Shani527 at 3:58 PM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Usually 1%, because that's what we get with WIC. When I need to buy extra I buy whole - it does make a difference! Whole makes foods creamier, since it's got more fat. It's got a fuller flavor, because of the fat. I wish we could afford whole milk 100% of the time...it tastes so good! I never noticed a difference between 1% and 2% though, or 1% and skim - just whole.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:42 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Depends on the recipe. Mostly I use 2%. Some things I will use evaporated milk in.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:00 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I use 2% and have never had an issue with it.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 5:18 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• 1%

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:59 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Whole milk and coconut milk are the 2 I use the most when cooking. I will use 2% at times, but prefer not to.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:59 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I didnt realize you could tell the difference when cooking with it, I never noticed. I use lactaid b/c I have children with milk allergies...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 4:02 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• unless it calls for evap/cond milk or a fruited milk, i just use what we drink, 2%.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 4:02 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Skim--no one has ever complained and I'm considered a very good cook and frequently cook things for work.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 4:03 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Whole milk is the best because of the fat content but I don't really care and just use what is in the fridge and that is either 1% or skim depending on who bought the milk last,lol
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 4:14 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• we use whole milk but I keep trying to get my babies to gain weight
    butterflysmom

Answer by butterflysmom at 4:15 PM on Aug. 22, 2010