What should I looking for in a riding stables?

My 8 year old is wanting to take riding lessons. Anyone know of a good resource or pointers in looking for a good stable? I want her to learn to care for and tend to the horses. Not just ride. Any experienced advice greatly appreciated.

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 4:36 PM on Aug. 22, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• CLEAN stalls. Healthy looking horses. Beware of anyone who will not let you look around. Watch how they treat the animals. Watch how the animals react to them. Look for gentle, people loving horses. Beware of animals that shy away from people..could have been mistreated. Generallly, horses love people...can not keep mine out of my back pocket!

Be sure to watch how they interact with your child during the lesson...in other words...all that is needed is some good old common sense. You might want to check with your local humane society or police to see if there have been compaints. See if they will let you talk to other parents. Good luck & God Bless!
    Gene_Godwin

Answer by Gene_Godwin at 4:45 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I would check with the local 4-h club for recommendations. I grew up with horses so I never had to get formal lessons... LOL...
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 5:33 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Horses!!! lof. Maybe other girls her age who seem to be enjoying themselves and learning.
    I actually do not have a clue.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:41 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• My 8 yr old daughter wants to do this too. I am not sure of the cost or anything else that is why I haven't looked into it. Her whole room is nothing but horse. Start with the yellow pages and see what'sout there then look for clean stalls, friendly people
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 7:20 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Check at your local rec center or ag center for info on local riding places. Also look online, just google "riding lessons/camps" for your area.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:59 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• bump and gl
    san78

Answer by san78 at 9:19 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I agree with Gene Godwin - clean stalls and healthy looking horses that are not easily spooked.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:24 PM on Aug. 24, 2010