Do you play the fiddle - violin?

I am interested in learning and teaching my kids. Can you give me playing tips? How do I buy a GOOD used violin or basically, how much might I spend on a new or used one? Thank you.

2tinyhineys

Asked by 2tinyhineys at 4:48 PM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Wow, I would love to learn to play the fiddle/violin, but to find one at that low price is very very hard. I am at ETSU where we have the only Bluegrass degree in the world...that means we have the most wonderful and talented fiddle instructors (there is even a yearly fiddle camp offered during the summer for all ages). It would not be hard for me to get the instruction, but anywhere else, I would google for your area for instructors. Also, another way to learn is to use video sites like youtube or howto. These are free (or as free as could be according to the cost of your internet). I have met a few people who began training that way before coming here. Good luck!
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 5:16 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I played for about 6 months in school. I rented it for $17 a month. To buy, it would be around 100-300 dollars probably. If you've never played an instrument, I suggest getting lessons before you try to start teaching your children. It's not too hard, but an instructor would be able to tell you how to hold your hands properly and not doing that right could prolly cause carple tunnel. Good luck :)
    Mom2unangel

Answer by Mom2unangel at 4:56 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I used to play in high school. I learned to play in 9th grade and was in the school orchestra the other 3 years but haven't played since I graduated in 95. I miss it and would love to get a violin so I can play again. The violins we used were being sold to graduates for about $400 and they were used. Our teacher told us not to spend less than that on a good student violin but I'll probably get one for less when I do buy one.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:59 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• i play violin its hard you have to get the right bow for kids thats what will cost you even me being an adult i couldent use a 4/4 {full size} bow with my arms .. u can find a violin in a music store for a few hundred bucks but you must get rosin {for the horsehair or it will break and your out of a bow} and a case for it .. its very expensive in the end
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 5:31 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I don't play, but check shopgoodwill.com. They have used instruments on there. I don't know how to tell you if they are ok or not. I have bought several antiques off the site and have been pleased with them. My SIL buys collective figurines from them. Look and see.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:33 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Nope, good luck!
    2boimommy

Answer by 2boimommy at 7:03 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I played violin from 3rd-12th grade, and viola for a few years in there too. I started with my dad's old one, then my parents rented from our neighbor, and in high school I was able to use a school instrument for free (got really lucky!). You'll pay different amounts based on a lot of factors. A good place to start would be music stores, but if you're looking for cheap & don't care about quality, try craigslist.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 9:06 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• My son plays- We bought his fiddle (violin) from a music store.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:55 PM on Aug. 22, 2010