How old was your baby when you started giving them regular milk instead of formula?

I know they tell you to wait until they're a year old before you start giving them regular milk but with my daughter that is now 4, my mom gave her whole milk when she was like 10 months old and she was fine.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:50 PM on Aug. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• My DD Dr recommended beginning at 10. She told us to start by mixing it in with her formula. 7 oz formula, 1 oz milk for a week and continue until she was on straight milk (which would be about 1). She said it would ease any transition problems be they taste or digestive. We got rid of bottles at the same time though and DD refused to drink formula from a cup even though she'd been drinking water from one for months so we tried straight milk. She loves her milk from a cup so by 10.5-11 months she was on whole milk. She won't turn 1 until Sept though and up until this week we had been mixing formula into her cereal and such just to be sure her nutritional needs were being met. She is a great eater though!
    spbeta

Answer by spbeta at 7:51 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Regularly, it was on her first birthday. Before that, she'd get a drink of mine or my husband's milk as young as about 8 1/2 or 9 months. Never a lot, just a sip here, a sip there.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 4:51 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• 6 months with both my children I have a very old fashoned Doc and that the way he does it. I saved alot of money on formula... and I didn't have any problems with either child. Both my children are healthier than they should be they hardly ever get sick. YAY! :)
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 4:53 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• We started giving our kids tastes of milk when they were around 6 months old and started eating baby food. But it wasn't a regular thing and didn't replace any formula. They started getting milk instead of formula when they turned 1 and we tossed the bottles and formula.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:52 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• My Dd was around 14 months when I started introducing cow's milk. I was breastfeeding though, don't know if this makes a difference. I have a friend that switched her Dd to cow's milk at home at 10 months old, other then lack of weight gain and delayed speech, I see no effects. I have no idea if these were caused by her switching.
    Mom2unangel

Answer by Mom2unangel at 4:53 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• One Year.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 4:54 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Hey...I would say 12 months but I have another suggestion! Since your baby is young and not-yet biased, try goats milk first if you want to give your baby milk! Goats milk is the closest thing to human mothers milk and therefore better for humans to drink :-) I've been breast feeding and using goats milk instead of formula on the occasions that my son is babysat. He LOVES it and I feel better about it because cow milk allergies are VERY common and also happen to run in my family.

Many regular grocery stores sell goats milk and definitely health stores like Henry's or Trader Joes. I buy more than one carton and freeze the extra so I don't have to make many extra trips for it :) Good luck!
    CEOchelsea

Answer by CEOchelsea at 5:03 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• my son was 13 months just because the WIC here gives vouchers 3 months at a time and well I still had a case left on his 1st birthday so I gave it to him until it was used up.
    My other kids I really don't remember but I'm sure they were around a year
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 5:03 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• 10 months for actual milk, but he was eating yogurt and cheese by 8 months.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 5:04 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• We intrtoduced a sippy cup with water just after we started solids. my daughter drank only breastmilk or water.

Cow milk is for baby cows, and humans don't need it. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. While cow mild is rich in protein, the kind of protein that is contains is casein, while human milk protein is lactalbumin, with is easily digestible; more the 50% of casein isn't digested and can cause health problems later in life, like food allergies. Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html 

Answer by rkoloms at 5:11 PM on Aug. 22, 2010