if your child still has/had accidents with underwear on....

what ways did you teach your child not to do so? I have tried telling my son that underwear is for big kids and diapers are for babies, I've tried reminding him that you dont pee pee/poo poo in underpants because they arent diapers...I've told him the character on his underpants doesnt want to get wet.....he has his good days and bad days....any tips? Dont tell me "maybe he isnt ready" he is...he is just having some trouble remembering underpants are different....

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 4:54 PM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't leave it up to him to remember. They still aren't mature enough at this age to keep focused on their bladder. Keep reminding him. We are still going thru this at 3.5 years and she potty trained at 2 years.

They easily get distracted. Even though they know they have to pee, they will stop to look at something just long enough that they don't make it to the bathroom.

Just keep reminding him.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:57 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• yes I dont leave it up to him. If I ask him if he has to go, I take him to the bathroom anyway. I also tell him when it's time for a potty break. It's just hard catching his cues lately.
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 4:59 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Accidents happen. Pay attention to when accidents happen...during play? After meals? Then pick up the slack. I've done elimination communication since birth, and its part of the process. Just don't go back to diapers or pull-ups...be gentle, understanding, and consistent. Especially if you just started training it needs time.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:02 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• well we do pull ups overnight and if we are away from home we pack some in case he runs out of his cloth trainers. other than that he wears underwear all day. I have "threatened" to put diapers on him for poop accidents and he just takes them right off, so we dont do diapers anymore lol
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 5:04 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Then you may just need to go back to taking him every hour or so if you cannot pick up on his cues. GL!
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:05 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• My daughter was in diapers until she was four, and never had an accident.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:07 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• is it common to go back to certain methods? I mean I did do the timing thing and after a while it didnt work because he did better if I wasnt following his shadow.
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 5:07 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Never threaten! It's too much unnecessary negative pressure.
    Better than pullups are training pants with a water proof outer layer. You can buy them online.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:07 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• i have some cloth trainers...I just dont have a cover. I need to get one of those because they dont absorb well lol
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 5:08 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• It's fine to use timing. Just don't force it or ask too often. You have to find a balance between trust and help.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:09 PM on Aug. 22, 2010