What filler foods can I feed my gluten/milk intolerant one-year-old?

My still breast-fed (3X per day) 12 mo. old has been having 4-6 poops per day...very abnormal for him. Gluten/milk allergies run in my family so that struck a cord with me and I may need to cut back on them.

Here's the thing...I'm an inexperienced mom/cook and I tend to fall back on easy foods. Since he eats A TON, mainly fruits and veggies aren't cutting it. I need some filler foods. So I added organic whole grain brown rice. (Gluten free, right?) It has 2g fiber per 1/4 cup which is about what he will eat in a serving. Is that a lot?

My sons main diet consists of fruit (His favorites are mango cantaloupe, bananas & grapes), veggies (peas, carrots, green beans, corn), scrambled eggs, brown rice, cheerios (possible culpret?), and gerber or other snacks.

So my question is, if I take brown rice & cheerios out, what can I add in as healthy fillers? It's hard to think of anything if I'm not going to be adding any dairy/gluten.

CEOchelsea

Asked by CEOchelsea at 4:55 PM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It sounds like you are going to hit a spot where you should /could just take it way easy now, and not worry, since all those wholesome foods are surely enough for him, ...cheerios sounds good, and for filling, the brown rice is good, so more filling just to get good fiber, .....
    ----------------
    Wheat bran cereal> Does some co. make a gluten free wheat. ? This could be a problem yes. Not sure but organic is that the same as gluten free? Do you have millet, or all bran, or some whole grain with no gluten? Is he allergic to peanuts. Perhaps a nut butter that he can have dipped onto cheerios could fill the tummy up.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 5:04 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• there are gluten free breads out there
    plus i'm pretty sure rice is ok http://gfkitchen.server101.com/rice.htm
    hopefully this website will have more info for you :)
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 5:06 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• quinoa
    avocado
    brown rice pastas
    lentils
    beans
    hummus
    tofu

Answer by rkoloms at 5:06 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• here's a recipe page
    http://www.glutenfreekitchen.org/recipes.htm
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 5:07 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Brown rice is good. Instead of Cheerios look for "Whole O's" by Natures Path. They are whole grain and gluten free.
    There is a celiac (gluten free) group here on CM. Lots of them are Diary free as well. Post there and you will get tons of ideas!
    Skip the Gerber puffs and snacks and such as I'm pretty sure they all have gluten. The Baby Mum Mums Risk Rusks are gluten free.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:47 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Fillers? It sounds like you have a little nutritional info but I've never heard of a mom looking for fillers.

At 12 mo bf 3 x a day wasn't enough. He should have still been getting most of his nutrition from bf, more like 6-8 or more times a day. He could increase bf and continued bf is recommended until at least age 2. He doesn't need to drink any cow's milk and doesn't have to eat andy milk products. Usually lactose intollerance (not an alleragy) doesn't develop until after age 3. Your toddler most likelly can eat cheese, yogurt, and kefir with no problem. Of course a wide variety of fruits and veggies are good.

What about meats? You need to make sure his iron levels are ok and he is getting iron from his diet or supplements. Low iron is bad for brain growth.  

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:29 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• He may be eating a ton because he doesn't breastfeed enough. Of course human milk is the best thing for him. Oatmeal (the real thing not baby oatmeal) is filling and gluten free. If there is a healthier food grocery food store in your area you may find a display of gluten free food. The main food to avoid is wheat.

My 22 mo bf grandson is allergic to wheat and 8 other foods including chicken, beef, and eggs. Just avoiding wheat isn't that hard.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:44 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• There are many gluten free (some are dairy/caseine free too) breads, cereal, cookies, crackers, etc - and many mixes for that stuff too - will he eat a sandwich? Muffins made from a gf mix, pancakes, things like that (there's a gf mix similar to bisquick that you can make tons of thigns out of). Brown rice is good, potatoes, beans (legumes). There are some gf groups on cafemom you should check out too. I have a "friend" who has celiac disease, and our oldest nephew is gluten/dairy/sugar free - so just with him I've had a lot of experience shopping & cooking foods he can eat - I also tried a gf diet for a while just for kicks - it's not easy and it can be expensive!
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 9:03 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Thanks for all the answers...my post might have been confusing. My main concern is WHY IS HE POOPING SO OFTEN? and if it is bc of high fiber and/or gluten/milk products, what foods do I need to avoid. Especially when it comes to fiber.

PS I am only breastfeeding 3x a day because we are in the weaning process. I am 20 weeks pregnant and plan to have him fully weaned at least a month to two months before the new baby arrives. Hence I will be reducing to twice a day soon...so I really do have to feed him a lot of food. I am using goats milk as the alternate extra milk for him, since it is the closest thing to human mother's milk.
    CEOchelsea

Comment by CEOchelsea (original poster) at 10:15 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Is the allergy to milk protein to Lactose? Either way isn't Goats milk still going to have those?-I have no idea... I'm just asking. lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 PM on Aug. 23, 2010