Lice trouble

My girls are biracial. I've been dealing with them having lice for almost two years now. I think I get it all out, but their hair is so hard to look through, I'll miss a few nits and then a couple months later they are back full force. I cannot afford to keep buying the lice shampoo b/c it will take BOTTLES to treat their hair repeatedly. I am so sick of dealing with this and so frustrated I'm ready to just shave their heads! Sounds extreme but I don't know what to do. I have no problem getting the bugs out, but does ANYONE have any secrets to what I can put in their hair that will KILL the nits??? Not even the lice shampoo kills them...there's got to be a way. That is the only way they will not keep re-hatching. I'm desperate. Any help is appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:56 PM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Health

• Honestly speaking, you probably get it out of their hair, but it's still in the house. To get rid of it cheaply, but still effectively, buy flea spray and shampoo (it's the same active ingredient as RID). Use the spray on all the carpets and the furniture. Use the shampoo on their hair. If it's not working, a great way to get rid of lice is to cover the head in Mayo and then put a shower cap on and leave it there for an hour. At the end rinse the head and then comb through. Another thing people miss is to get all CLOTH toys and bedding and get it in the wash. Bag up the toys in trash bags and leave them there for a few weeks.

Good luck!
    Mom2unangel

Answer by Mom2unangel at 4:59 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I bought some shampoo and leave-in conditioner at CVS that comes in a green bottle and has some ingredient that is gentle enough to use on their hair every day, but strong enough to prevent lice from coming back. My girls went through several bouts with lice and their nits (eggs) - It was a huge pain, but when we used the shampoo and leave-in conditioner, as well as washed everything in hot water, spraying the things we couldn't wash with the lice spray, and putting things like stuffed animals in plastic bags and in the garage for four weeks - we finally got rid of the problem.
    texassahm

Answer by texassahm at 5:01 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• The first reply makes me remember another treatment I heard about - Olive Oil. Same thing as the mayo suggestion, but use olive oil, and wrap hair in plastic at night when they go to bed. It suffocates the lice....but doesn't get rid of the eggs. You have to keep doing it for a couple of weeks.
    texassahm

Answer by texassahm at 5:03 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Somehow, we managed to avoid lice (probably the only family on the block. Here are some remedies that I have held on to in case I need them. For prevention, mix 50% olive oil, 25% tea tree oil and 25% rosemary essential oil (you can get this at a health food store or Whole Foods); massage on scalp and leave on for 15-20 minutes. To cure, you can use mayonaise or coconut oil; put on the hair, wait about 30 minutes, and comb out with a flea comb from a pet shop; follow with the prevention spray. You will need to wash bedding, clothes, pillows, etc.
    Trader Joes has a great shampoo and conditioner with tea tree oil and peppermint; these wouldn't hurt, and are great for adolescent, greasy, flakey, scalps.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:08 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Your daughters lice have probably become immune to the lice medication. The doctor can prescribe stronger ones. If you have carpet they need to be deep cleaned, you could rent a rug doctor or a company to come in and do it for you. All stuffed animals can be heated in the dryer for 15-20 minutes on high. or you can put them in black garbage bags for 2 weeks. All clothing needs to be washed and dryed. Throw away all hair products(brushes clippies hair bands) and start fresh. Wash all towels, rags. Any throw blankets for the coach, pillows. As far as a chemical free de-licing. I get rid of my step daughters by soaking the hair in Vegetable oil, Wrapping a walmart sack over her head, and blow drying it for 15 minutes. I leave that on for a full 24 hours to sufficate the lice. Then I got the metal lice comb from Sally's (plastic ones are no good) Wash the hair with dish soap to get the oil out
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 5:40 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• It should take 2+ hours to comb thru the hair. Take tweezers and pluck each hair that has nits. You can section off hair with rubber bands. You literally have to physically go thru each strand. message me if you need more suggestions. After dealing with lice with my step daughter, I call myself a pro... LOL.. Its all part in being a mom, don't get mad at them they can't help it. (Not saying you do) But sometimes I loose my cool with my SD when she constantly comes to my house with lice, and we have 2 more girls. Thankfully they dont get it.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 5:43 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• So there is NO known chemical that KILLS the nits without having to pick out every single one??
    My4Kidds

Answer by My4Kidds at 5:49 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Scientist believe that 80% of lice are resistant to prescription and over-the-counter treatments which often contain dangerous pesticides. I have never,personally, had to deal with these nasties - but I have been told that a natural remedy is shampooing with Melaleuca Original Shampoo and bathing with 1 ounce of Sol-U-Mel. Afterwards, massage Melaleuca oil into the scalp and hair to soften and dislodge the nits. Comb the oil through the hair. To fumigate the live insects, wrap your hair in a hot moist towel for 10 minutes. Repeat every other day for at least 5 treatments. It has also been suggested to spray the hair with diluted Sol-U-Mel, followed by shampooing with the Original Shampoo. Let it set for about 10 minutes before rinsing. Using a nit comb, the eggs should come out easily. Repeat this procedure to be sure that all the lice are gone.
    Dew1

Answer by Dew1 at 8:00 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• As far as the re-infestation... wash all clothing and bedding adding Sol-U-Mel - in hot water. Add 2 ounces of Sol-U-Mel to 16 ounces of water and spray the entire house, especially affected areas. Wash hair regularly with Melaleuca Original Shampoo. This is a natural treatment - no icky pesticides :)
    Dew1

Answer by Dew1 at 8:03 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• take them to the dr. they can give you a rx. for that
    ladybug36519

Answer by ladybug36519 at 9:59 PM on Aug. 22, 2010