Decorating help needed!!

I have a hall bath that I need to re-decorate. It will be my Sons bathroom but he is just 3 1/2. The tub,sink & toilet & shower tile are grey, the vanity is white formica & the mirror has white trim. It is painted grey now & I am sick of it. #1) Should I do a kids theme in there or just regular bath decor. I wanted to paint it light lavender but DH says it's too girly for my Son. #2) What color do you recommend? HELP Please!!!!!

ILovemyPaulie

Asked by ILovemyPaulie at 4:58 PM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Do not make it a kids theme, they grow quickly and you'll be redoing it... Give it a nice casual feel and it will be timeless. Way tooo much grey... you could add a splash of charcoal or black to break it up. Maybe swap out the mirror for no frame style or paint the frame charcoal. Also, you could add a dash of purple with the charcoal/black....
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 5:06 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• It sounds like you're aiming for a look that is kid-friendly, yet presentable to guests. I suggest going with a sage color for the walls because you can do so much with that color. You can make it look modern and "earthy" if you decide to use regular bathroom decor down the line, and you can also make it look like a child's bathroom without making it too bizarre looking. If your son likes animals, you can go with a jungle theme. It would be easy to incorporate his likes with the decorations. GL and most importantly, have fun with it!
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 5:07 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Go a look for a shower curtain and start from there... kinda like this...

showercurtain
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 5:10 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• i agree, don't make it too childish so your guests will still feel comfortable when they use it
    I like natural colors- you can never go wrong with colors found in nature (blues, tans, greens, etc)
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 5:10 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Kid's bath's are fun. No matter what color, I suggest buying some books that he loves, and if you can bring yourself to do this, tear out some of the art work from the book, like "Where the Wild Things Are" and frame it in black frames. It can be changed in time but kid friendly for the meanwhile. Add some colorful towels and keep it simple.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 5:11 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• a sage or a blue would do nicely
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 5:27 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Maybe check into re-glazing the tub white, then purchase a sink and toilet for cheap. These are inexpensive fixes and you can use a neutral color on the walls. To make it kid friendly, you can find cute/chic wall decals. GL!
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 6:56 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I would go with black and white toile wallpaper and add little splashes of red to give it a little punch...like this idea...which is similar to what I did in our powder room!  Or paint the walls a warm cream color to soften the gray, and add contrasting colors--like orange, red, black, golden yellow, etc.

BKS055569

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:40 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I would paint the room a bright color and get a cute kid-themed shouwer curtain that can be changed out easily and add a lot to the room. I would pick a color that goes with the rest of your house (I like blue for a bathroom). You can get towels to match for a cute look. In our upstairs bath we have a tree frog shower curtain and bright green and orange towels.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:10 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• give it a timeless effect - no wallpaper, primary color with a few details to make it personal.
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 8:04 AM on Aug. 23, 2010