Do you think that American Idol is really a waste of time?

I mean Jordin Sparks, Taylor Hicks and Rueben Studdard arent doing tooo much, isnt it a fact that only Carrie Underwood and Kelly Clarkson are really making much money? My goodness its almost like it better that you dont win..

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 4:58 PM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Entertainment

• How can it be a waste of time when even if they are not doing as good as the others, they are still making more money than before.

Answer by older at 4:59 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• My goodness its almost like it better that you dont win..

LOL True. Like Chris Daughtry. He is successful and he lost, right? I do not think it is a waste because, yes, it is fast and gameshow like, but I see some good talent. I love Kelly C.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 5:05 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• i agree that the Losers of AI usually end up doing better. Jennifer Hudson won an oscar and Constantine has a very successful Broadway rock musical
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 5:13 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• yes its a waste
    gulfcoastmom4

Answer by gulfcoastmom4 at 6:40 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• If you mean watching it, yes, yes I do.
    2boimommy

Answer by 2boimommy at 7:01 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• IMHO, the only reality show that isn't a waste of time is the Amazing Race and that is only because you get to see a new place every week.
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 8:33 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I think it is definitely not a waste of time for the people who enter it. If people don't like it then it is a waste of time watching it. It's great to see new talent given a chance to make it. They have all the help they need to make it big in show business but if they don't have the drive to succeed then it's their loss. I was surprised to see the list recently of the big money makers and it is a lot bigger than I would have expected. There are a lot of winners that I don't care for their music but everyone doesn't like the same thing.
    koolkidsmom

Answer by koolkidsmom at 6:32 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I don't watch it and never have even once. I guess it would depend on how define waste of time and for who. It also depends on how you define success. if you are going by super mega britney pop star sensations then yes it's a complete waste. if you define success by having a career doing something you love then probably not. For instance, you mention Taylor Hicks, sure his recording career seems to have fallen flat but he tearing up the off broadway circuit. Didn't another "loser" from idol recently win an Oscar? Jordin Sparks is selling tickets to booked out shows and is still putting out new material. If money is your only yard stick then pretty much everything is a waste since only the top 5% will ever make it worthwhile in anything.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 8:05 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• what about Daughtry (sp?) & clay aiken, so they didn't win, but I don't think they would be where they are w/o idol.
    Tnamari

Answer by Tnamari at 8:09 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• idol is just a lot of fun, but without simon i, not sure how great its going to be now. i will watch just to see the new judges. last year was just awful no talant at all, boring songs i had to really gear myself up to watch it and i only did cause it was simon's last show. But hey what about Adam Lampert he is great!!!!
    abbi4

Answer by abbi4 at 9:29 AM on Aug. 23, 2010