How should a step-mother treat her step-child?

I was always under the impression that when one becomes a step-mother, they shouldn't treat the child any different than they would their own. I was treated like crap by my step-mom growing up, and I hated how that made me feel. I treat and love my step-daughter (I don't usually refer to her as my step-daughter, but as my dd) no different than my dd that I gave birth to. Her bio-mom is only in the picture 4 weeks a year and until my dh comes back, every other weekend. My dsd calls me mommy by her own choice, and it understandably bothers her bio-mom. I just don't know any other way to treat her. I would think she'd be happy to know that someone loves and takes care of her dd, but that isn't the case. Is it possible to love a child too much? I'm at a loss here.

nicolemstacy

Asked by nicolemstacy at 4:59 PM on Aug. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• You are right in treating her as you do, and no I do not think it is possible to love them too much!

Answer by older at 5:01 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Nope, sounds like you are doing everything right. Keep treating her with love and respect.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 5:01 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Never! You can never love a child too much. I think its great that you've taken such good care of her. Its nice that you dont treat her any different than your own flesh and blood daughter. Keep on doing what your doing. :]
    KrazyKutie

Answer by KrazyKutie at 5:02 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Just keep doing what you are doing. It sounds like bio-mom may be having some issues knowing that you are becoming the mom that she couldn't be.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:03 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• way to goI would love it if you were my children's stepmother! That's exactly how I think you should treat a child.

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:03 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• You can NEVER love a child too much... treat them as you would treat your own, treat them the way u would want to be treated if you were them...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 5:05 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Thank you ladies so much! This has been such an emotional day/week/few months lol. Hugs to you all!
    nicolemstacy

Comment by nicolemstacy (original poster) at 5:10 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• You are doing a wonderful job. When your children grow up I hope they live by your example.
    lmt_mom2010

Answer by lmt_mom2010 at 5:48 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• in your case, you have majority custody, so you are doing the right thing. I have problems when people who are rarely in the child's life try to force a relationship that isn't there.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 6:18 PM on Aug. 22, 2010