My sister tried to kill herself

She broke up with her BF of 7 years a few months ago, because he was becoming increasingly controlling.She was rear ended not to long ago, she wasn't seriously injured but she's had back/neck pain ever since.Her Ex's CRAZY MALE cousin called her a few days ago and threatened to "come over and take care of her" if she doesn't fix it with her EX.She's taking pain & depression meds. she took all of her pills last night trying to kill herself. She called me & i could barley understand her but I'm pretty sure it was her roomate that found her &took her to the hospital.I feel like it's my fault,I sent her the money to buy her pain meds, because she's been on sick leave since the accident & doesn't have insurance.I want her to come & live with me.We live more than 2000 miles apart. She told me no because she signed a lease w/ a friend.Our house is big enough & we can provide for as long as she needs. PLEASE ANY ADVICE!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:07 PM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Relationships

• first off it's not your fault, she made a choice you can't blame yourself. I would ask her why she's so concerned about leaving her roomate with the rest of the lease by moving in with you but she would have left her room mate with the brunt of the lease if she had died last night. Help her find her room mate find a new room mate and get her in to a loving supportive environment and back on her feet. Sounds like her life just sucks right now and she doesn't know how to handle it right now
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 5:11 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Its hard for someone who does this maybe she should stay where she is and get help there. Its hard because you have to reconcile what you did to yourself and there are a lot of emotions mostly directed towards yourself you can be there to support her.GL Momma
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:13 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I am sorry that you are going through this; I am sorry your sister is also going through this. Then only thing I can say is that you are not responsible for what your sister did, you only had intentions of helping her, no way you would know what she was thinking about doing or what was going through her mind. The only thing you can do is try to be there for your sister and some how make sure that she gets the treatment she needs. Any way you can convince her to put a restraining order on this ex? Good luck with this and I hope that everything works out and makes a turn for the better.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 5:13 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Is she ok? Can you go see her? Talk with her friend? She needs to get away from there, away from that crazy ex, and his crazy cousin. And all his crazy ass people. She should at least stay with you for a while, while she heals. See if you can talk her into that, while she can't work. Or can you go stay with her for a few weeks? Maybe if you can go stay with her for a little while, you can convince her to make the move to stay with you.
    I really hope she's ok, and I really hope you come to the realization quickly that this was not your fault. Not in the least little, tiniest bit.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 5:14 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Good for you not to panic, but good for you coming on here, I know it's hard but it will get through to better days. I would just give her credit for going through all this and surviving!! Wow. she should be given a good amount of time to heal, and she should always have someone nearby but not in her face all day. Perhaps it's best to just drop in and see her when her recovery is more on the mend. She'll appreciate flowers, and cards, and some sincere words. This Ex, what is that all going to be about? How is that effecting her, and does it need to be in the picture at all. ? What could an ex do now, since it's a past relationship anyways.?
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 5:15 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• yeah a restraining order sounds like a good idea maybe on the cousin more so
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 5:15 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I agree with katie, it is not your fault. I wish everyone realized that suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. While I am sorry that she felt the need to resort to that, I am relieved for you both that she wasn't successful. She needs to know that she is loved and cared for. Talk to her room mate about the situation, and get her into your home ASAP. Try talking her into changing her number so that nobody that is affiliated with her ex can contact her. Best of luck to you all and I am keeping you and your sister in my prayers. She is very fortunate to have you as a sister.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 5:15 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I see a big bunch of controllers just waiting like wolves /// get her away, she could go to a group home, or a good family that either sincerely could help, but that is sometimes worse, since it's THEIR HOME. I would opt for the group home or a good shelter, and at either one she could apply for a housing voucher and move on. GOOD LUCK she deserves better than these scums.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 5:20 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• She doesn't need a shelter, or a group home, or a housing voucher. She needs to be with people who love and support her, where she can be taken care of while she heals emotionally and physically, and where her jerk bag ex and all his affiliates can't touch her. Someone mentioned you staying with her though, if that's an option that sounds like a great idea!
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 5:37 PM on Aug. 22, 2010