Did you have to make life adjustments due to income?

How many of you have had to make big changes in your life due to a drop in income? Either through job loss, decrease in hours, over-spending, real estate, or the stock market?

texassahm

Asked by texassahm at 5:08 PM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

• I did because of the increasing cost of items but not because of "loss, decrease in hours, over-spending, real estate, or the stock market"
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:09 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• We have been devastated by job loss and a decrease in hours. It makes you understand what is important.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 5:13 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• ((Luckily .. WaheGuru)))

The only adjustments we have had to make has been due to the increase cost in goods/services. But those types of fluctuations are always something that most everyone has to deal with when they happen.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:15 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• We have not. It is more the rising cost of items, especially food. The one store that we used to shop at had increased their items dramatically and we stopped shopping there for a while. I recently went back for some specialty items and I am serious when I say a good 85% of the items had NEW LOW PRICE tags on them...I just remember going in one day and the dog food I get being cheaper at Petco...now it's back to it's original lower price.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 5:15 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• We did, we are still "restructuring" our spending/bills/budget. Hubby and I both had job losses late 2008 and a surprise pregnancy 2 months later. We had to live off unemployment and student loans for almost a year; we just started getting back on track this year probably early March. I am actually going to be unemployed as of December but we have managed to make a huge adjustment on our bills and if we continue to pay off our debt from now until the end of December we should be okay with bills for a few months until I find another job.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 5:19 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• i went back to school full time and bc of that i stopped getting my unemployment
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 5:29 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• new addition to the family as well as keeping up with the usual has taken back some slack on the wallet yet can't complain if we can still afford to save...
    mariposalee

Answer by mariposalee at 5:32 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Good point about the increasing costs of every day goods! If I could edit my question to add that I would! Thanks for pointing that out to me.
    texassahm

Comment by texassahm (original poster) at 5:39 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Not because of an income drop- or anything like that. Just a realization that we can't live outside our means for ever. It was a shock to suddenly not be able to eat out, or visit family and friends whenever. I'm glad we caught the problem though :)
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 12:09 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• We've made changes in order to plan better for the future. We've cut back on expenses so we can pay off all debt (mainly medical bills), and set up college and retirement funds for a very comfortable future.

MomToBeISaMom

Answer by MomToBeISaMom at 12:23 PM on Aug. 23, 2010