if you work and the majority of your check goes to daycare...

no bashing! i'm just curious about your situation. Do you make any profit at all? Does SO work also? My SO works full time and i'm a sahm. I would really like to start working again so I can chip in financially but most of my check would go towards daycare and if I wanted to make some profit I'd have to work alot and the daycare would be raising my son...kwim? SO's family does there thing and I dont have anyone around I'd trust watching my son all day long. It is hard to find a non-scam wah job. Even the ones advertised on here I dont trust lol

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 5:38 PM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

• about half of my income goes to childcare. which is ok because my so makes up the rest of what i can't pay in bills
    natasha86

Answer by natasha86 at 5:40 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• This is why after I lost my job I didn't go back to work. Almost all the money I would earn would go to daycare so what is the point? When my older boys were in the second and third grade I went back to work because I found a job where I worked from 9-3 which were the same hours they were in school. When my little peep finally get in school full time, I will look again.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 5:41 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I need to be anal....I meant to write "THEIR" not "THERE" in the OP lol
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 5:43 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• yes I know for sure I will look for a pt job once my son is in school he's only 2 lol.
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 5:44 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Yeah, its pretty crazy. I used to work OT to make up the difference, hence the kids where at daycare longer during the day. But, we made it somehow and someway. I have a pension, I have medical, I have life insurance if I drop dead. Im a single parent now, so for me, it worked for the best. I dont know where we would be today if I didnt have my paycheck.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 5:45 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I wouldn't work in that case. But here is a tip for you. You can work as a babysitter for other kids as long as they let you bring your own child. It can be a part-time job. My kids babysitter makes 500 bucks a month for watching my 2 kids for 3 hours a day, 5 days a week and she brings her own 5 months old with her. Just a thought... We found each other on craigslist.
    glenndoir

Answer by glenndoir at 5:47 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• i was offered a babysitting job but never heard back from her because she's so busy. But i thnk it worked out where she doesnt need one. I have babysat in the past and made some extra money plus helped a mom out! Only problem now is I dont have my car during the day. a good reason to not fnd a job lol. SO drives it to work. So if I babysat they'd have to come to me and that might be an inconvenience since I live 15 minutes out of the city limits. not a short drive for anyone in a rush or low on gas.
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 6:01 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• That's the reason when I looked for work I looked for something opposite my husband's schedule. So I'd either leave when he came home or he'd leave when I did. That way one of us was always home and we paid nothing in childcare.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 6:19 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I work as a nanny outside my home. My son comes with me to work. I got my job off craigslist and we both love it. I work with triplets who are his age so it works out really well. ALL my paycheck goes right in my pocket ;) AND I raise my kid!
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 6:42 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• my hubby wants me to go back to work and i would love to go back to work or school but daycare and transportation would take pretty much all my pay. at one point while we were both working i ended in the hole instead of making money. my youngest starts school in another 2 years so i'll start looking then.
    tanper29

Answer by tanper29 at 6:56 PM on Aug. 22, 2010