How much do you think is too much to spend on a wedding dress?

If you don't mind sharing, how much was yours? Was it worth it?

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 5:54 PM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Shopping

• they say no more than 10% of your wedding budget to spend 5k on your dress and have a cash bar is tacky, you catch my drift? I spent $300 honestly i wish i had been a little less thrift and spent a little more and got what I REALLY wanted but we only spent $2500 on our wedding so oven $300 was over budget i guess our wedding was very very simple
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 6:14 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Sorry, I'm not a good one to ask. I was fortunate to have the wedding dress which my grandmother had made for my mother and it was/ is so gorgeous that I wasn't interested in looking further.

I grew up and have lived my life very frugally, so I'm sure any estimate I would offer would be far below the norm.

Our wedding cake was made by my mother giving out to friends graduated-sized cake pans, and they each baked one of the seven layers. She and a friend stacked them up and frosted the cake. We had 200 people at our wedding and it was enough cake ...
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 5:57 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• LOL, 29 years ago my Mom spent $68.74 on the materials to make my dress and veil. She used parts of 3 different patterns $21.00 on patterns. Grand total of $99.00 to purchase materials but it is priceless to me. Not many years later her medical condition made it very hard for her to do fine bead work. The 2000 seed pearls she appliqued on my bodice and cuffs were the last she ever did.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:57 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Mine was priceless, custom made from my mother with pearls details from head to toe, all put there one by one by my beautiful mother's hands, how do you put a price on that?

Answer by older at 5:58 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Anything more than you can afford is too much to spend on a wedding dress.

I made my own wedding dress, it was less than $100 total.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 6:14 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I gave myself a $5000 limit. I only ended up spending $1900 .... I would say anything over $5000 would be too much.

AND any amount is worth it as long as you feel good about yourself and you don't go into debt!
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 5:55 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I spent $999... I couldn't imagine spending more than 1g on my dress, I only wore it once, and there are such beautiful dresses for a lot less than that!
    Stephie999

Answer by Stephie999 at 5:57 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Mine was around $600 with shoes and a veil. I guess it was worth it.
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 6:05 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I spent around $100. I didn't get married in a traditional wedding gown because I was already 28 weeks pregnant and thought it would be tacky to do that.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:06 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Depends how much you can afford. If you don't have a pot to piss in and you spend $5K on a dress you'd be pretty dumb in my opinion.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 6:09 PM on Aug. 22, 2010