For the sahm's

How did you end up being a sahm? What does your husband/boyfriend do for a living? Did you ever work?

Queentdi

Asked by Queentdi at 10:00 AM on Jun. 30, 2008 in Money & Work

• I used to work until my oldest was about 5 months old, he's 5 years old now. My husband works for Coca-Cola. I stay home because not only do I dislike the idea of daycares, we can't aford to send them to daycare! I used to work in daycare and know how the system works. I don't want my kids in that type of environment. I plan on staying home throughout their school years too since I'm homeschooling :)
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:09 AM on Jun. 30, 2008

• I worked up until a week before i had my son, i planned on going back to work, but when we did the math, it would end up costing us more in daycare and gas then if i just stayed home, i'm looking to get a job during the evening hours right now because money is so tight, but it's hard to find a job that i can work from 6-midnight ish because i don't want to work much later then that, and any earlier and my SO wouldn't be home yet, he is a welder(or steel monkey as he likes to say since he hangs off steel beams all day)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Jun. 30, 2008

• At the moment i don't work. I worked at a gym daycare where i could take my daughter to work until recently. My husband is a full time student but what he goes to school for right now they won't let him work so they give him a big student loan for living. I definately wouldn't recomment it because now we have to pay it back but it's kind of our only option. We live comfortably but don't get to do many extra things.
    kinzleysmommy

Answer by kinzleysmommy at 10:45 AM on Jun. 30, 2008

• My boyfriend and I didn't want to see our son in daycare and I have an older daughter who is too old for daycare but too young to stay home by herself, he wanted me to stay home with them. He is a carpenter, he makes fairly decent money, but we always have to keep an eye on where the money is going. I worked up until the last week of my pregnancy.
    starrinightskie

Answer by starrinightskie at 11:12 AM on Jun. 30, 2008

• I worked right up until the time that my second child was born. I refused to put them in a daycare...with my first my best friend babysat her, but she wasn't interested in taking on another and I didn't blame. Not to mention that I really couldn't afford to pay to have 2 kids in day care or a babysitter. I basically knew the whole time that I was pregnant with him that I wouldn't be going back to work, so I started practising living on one income. I managed to save most of my paychecks during the pregnancy and built up an emergency fund. My husband is a store manager for a retailer, the pay is decent....we have been making it work for over 3 years now.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 12:54 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• i used to work but i worked in baton rouge. my hubby worked in a different city so when i went on maternity leave i had to move. couldn't afford my place anymore. so i moved in wiht him and that was that. i've had a couple of jobs here and there but it always gets to be too inconvient for him. so as long as he's willing to pay all the bills himself, i'mstaying home.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 11:51 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• I work but it is a choice I make. Now that my kids are jr high and high school, I just make sure I am home by 3 most every day. My hubby could easily support us, he is project Engineer
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 3:33 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• My hubby is a mail carrier for usps. I worked till right after we got married. We moved and I never got a job after that. He liked me being home and we knew that I wanted to stay at home after kids. So instead of me working and making extra money I stayed at home and we leaned to live off 1 income so there was no adjusting to it after having kids!!
    redtang912

Answer by redtang912 at 9:08 AM on Jul. 4, 2008

• I worked in the corporate world forever! I took my kids to daycare and cried every day. I quit in 2006. I started working at home w/ Ameriplan. I've been doing Ameriplan for 2 years now and am just around the corner from $50,000 a year. I work very part time, during my kids naptimes and this pays all of our bills. If you have any questions at all or if you want to schedule an interview with me, PM me and let me know! I'd love to help you out! you can also visit my website: www.HealthAndDentalCareers.com
    ~Christina
    workathomemama

Answer by workathomemama at 9:25 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I started doing Avon to supplement my income from home, it has almost doubled my pay in the last 4 months. I do it online, which is a great help since i have a 9 month old baby. If you'd like, look at my website, and see how it works. If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me. :) Good luck! www.youravon.com/jennyhancock
    Gaaeia

Answer by Gaaeia at 4:47 PM on Jul. 14, 2008