Does it bother you when people vote who know nothing at all about who they're voting for?

Can you imagine how different the course of history could have been if everyone who voted had truly done their research, rather than blindly voting for the party they had always been "affiliated" with?

Take my MIL for example. She votes for a certain party every single election and if you ask her even a simple question on the politician, she has no answer. It drives my husband nuts, lol.

I've actually had people tell me that they're voting for a certain party because "their parents have always voted that way".

I understand that everyone has the right to vote, but come on! Know who and what you're voting for!

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 6:13 PM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes indeed. I don't like people to not vote but I sure don't want them voting if they don't care enough to figure out what they are voting for. I'm doing my part. I have 3 young adult kids and I'm all over them and their friends to get them registered and voting Republican . LOL
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 7:06 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Yes it annoys me so much. I would rather someone NOT vote than just go vote for someone they know nothing about. Presidental elections, American Idol, America's Got Talent, all that kind of stuff has turned into a giant popularity contest. Obviously the only important one of those things is the election, but people vote for who is the prettiest, who is the funniest, who is nice, etc. etc. Not for the people who have good voices, not for the people who have an amazing talent, not for the person that would be THE BEST PRESIDENT. Then they end up electing someone and realize they don't believe in the same things, but by then its too late. It's really sad that people don't take voting seriously. Its not about QUANTITY, its about QUALITY. I would much rather have less voters that are well educated on their vote, than more voters who are just voting for the sake of voting.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:49 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Yes it does, so many people did not do their homework on this President we have now.

So many people voted for him just because he is black. I have seen girls on CM say they voted for him because he has a nice butt.

Obama is a fine example of what you get when people don't  do background checks and study up on a candidates polices he is running on..

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 12:25 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I agree it is dumb. My family voted for Obama only because they didn't want Mcain and he was black. They didn't like his politics though.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 6:16 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Strong supporter of the vote...but it comes with heavy responsiblity and yes, if you aren't going to bother to understand the issues and any given candiate's stance on the issues...then please don't bother to vote...
    2boimommy

Answer by 2boimommy at 6:33 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• MOST DEFINITELY!!!! That's what I've been tirelessly pointing out here since the summer of 2008!! LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:17 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• That's why I didn't vote this last election. I didn't watch enough of the elections to make a choice.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:17 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• agreed
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:18 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Yes it bothers me! If ppl take the time to vote then they ought to take the time to figure out who it is they're voting for and why. Not just vote for the (R) or (D) running!

I also agree with what a PP said about voting in the primaries. KNOW YOUR CANDIDATES and vote for the one that best supports your views!
    BobbieB

Answer by BobbieB at 10:58 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Yes, it does make me cringe. I am also against voter drives. If you really are so lazy and lacking in motivation that you have to have someone BEG you to register, then you likely aren't making decisions in a wise manner.
    MandyRowland

Answer by MandyRowland at 11:00 PM on Aug. 22, 2010