Have you ever wondered about Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, this Witch has...

As a mom, we use the Magic Eraser is like a superhero's secret weapon... ever wonder what it actually is? I did... and I found out....its not majickal...

The Magic Eraser MSDS sheet shows it doesn't contain borax (which surprised me), but it doesn't state what they actually do contain. A bit more searching, though, turned up that Mr. Clean didn't really try to hide their source for the Magic Eraser material - it's actually melamine foam, made by BASF.

Normally, melamine foam is used as a sound insulation, although it's also used as a fire retardant. At some point, somebody found out that if you cut this sound insulation foam into blocks, you could use it as a very fine grit abrasive. So the way a Magic Eraser cleans is mechanical, not chemical - it's like a polishing cloth or sandpaper.

This is why it leaves a white film on walls and takes the shine off no-wax floors....

WoodWitch

Asked by WoodWitch at 6:17 PM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Wow, I've wondered what these were. Thanks! I love them and I really think the name brand work better than the Walmart generics, they don't fall apart as fast. We used the all over the house, it was super oooey when we bought it and there were a lot of places where nothing else would clean the layers of yuck.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:42 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Hmm, makes sense! I prefer my borax-and-sponge. Works just as well, and disinfects at the same time!
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 6:18 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• thanX! i've been wondering about what was in it and honestly, had been kind of avoiding them because i was unsure what it contained.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:22 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• neat!
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 6:26 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Hi Witch Thanks for researching that for us. I have often wondered what made it so wonderful!
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:47 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• That is interesting!
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 6:47 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• That makes perfect sense. I used to use it for my old porcelain tub, but I found that it made it attract dirt worse than before.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 6:53 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• lol. figures. Another over priced gimmick... like cold water detergent. ;0)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:57 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• lol, i figured out that it was some kind of mild abrasive, but i didn't know about it being insulation. good to know!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:03 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Well, now, isn't that just so. . . magical!

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 7:14 PM on Aug. 22, 2010