potty training - girl

DD's been doing pretty good at telling me when she needs to go to the bathroom, but it seems like she doesn't realize it until she's already peed a tiny bit. So the diaper (we're using cloth) or the panties (we've tried them alone, and it didn't help) end up a little bit damp. Then she'll finish peeing in the toilet. Any suggestions on how to prevent the little mess?

coder_chick

Asked by coder_chick at 6:39 PM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Actually take her totally out of diapers, panties only, and when she does have an accident, then change them. Praise her everytime she make it to the potty at all, and especially if she makes it w/o an accident. I've done this with both my toddlers (I didnt start one until she was 2 1/2, but my youngest was trained at 22 months old this way)
    wendy46121

Answer by wendy46121 at 6:46 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• One of my kids would do the same thing. It just took time for them to figure out what that "urge" was and to make it to the potty before that. I would just remind them they needed to go potty BEFORE they wet their pants - try to get on the potty faster next time. It took time, but they figured it out!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:49 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• So just do panties only, and deal with the mess for a few days? Just keep putting on clean/dry ones?
    coder_chick

Comment by coder_chick (original poster) at 6:47 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• How old were yours when doing this? DD is currently 19 months, and we seem to have been hovering in the same place for about 2 months. Guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and deal with spot cleaning the little spots.
    coder_chick

Comment by coder_chick (original poster) at 6:51 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• One way I help both my kids were to take them to the potty every 10 mins, then 15 mins then etc. I would say potty time. If they went to the potty I would give them a skittle. I dont normally give candy at all but, I found out that a reward everytime they went worked. I only gave them that candy that time only no other time. I kept it in a plastic jar in the bath room. I later moved to a sticker chart in the bath room later after they learned the concept. I potty trainned my kids in 3 days. Also a good idea is to let them pick out what type of underwear to buy kids will not tend to potty or boob on there favorite chacters.
    mochalatta20

Answer by mochalatta20 at 9:15 PM on Aug. 22, 2010