Want to start working out....beginner recommendations, Pilates is of interest!!

Hi all, I'm looking for recommendations on which beginners Pilates video I should start with. I think it's what would be best, to strengthen my muscles in my stomach, back, legs and arms. I don't want to do a whole lot of cardio but some would be good! Anyone know of a good pilates video to begin with??
thanks!

aidansmyheart

Asked by aidansmyheart at 6:39 PM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• I've not tried any of the videos, but I've gone to some classes. If you've never done pilates before, you may want to go to a few classes first. If you don't do it right you can hurt yourself (probably not long term, but you'll be miserable for a few days), and a live instructor can help prevent that.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 6:42 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• i'll second that emotion, coder! pilates is tough, too..a great workout, but not for the faint. take it slow at first, or you'll be waaaay sore a day or so later.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:48 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• i use to have a dvd for beginners pilates and i can't remember the name of it. i also use to go to the ymca and take classes there. i would rather go to a class that way u have and instructor to help u with any posture problems and for encouragement. best of luck to you.
    tanper29

Answer by tanper29 at 6:48 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• lol i rented a few pilates videos from the library. still trying to find something that i like, but i would reccomend doing the same thing. (since it's free to rent them from the library :) you have no worries if you don't like it just try another one)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 6:48 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• oh...well I can't really afford to go to classes on a reg basis, that's why I was kinda hoping for a beginner's video.
    aidansmyheart

Comment by aidansmyheart (original poster) at 6:49 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Ellen Barret's, Pick Your Level: Weight Loss Pilates... Awarded Top Workout DVD of 2006 by Natural Health Magazine. I absolutly LOVE this video and have been using it consistently for nearly a year. It has really worked well for me- only 30 minutes long and broken up into 3 ten minute sections... for moms, that is very helpful. Amazon sells it for around $10, but I've seen them run sells for $5 and $6.

Good Luck!
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 6:52 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• sounds good...but is it focused on losing weight? I don't want to do that, not really...I'm 5'6 1/2 and I weigh 122 pounds. I have bad posture and not enough muscle tone...so I'm looking for something focused on that!!
    aidansmyheart

Comment by aidansmyheart (original poster) at 6:53 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• No, it'll work all your areas to tone muscle and better your posture. It REALLY helps with posture- and you don't have to be good at pilates, the picking your own level part is really wonderful and helps ready yourself for the next level up. If you don't need to lose weight- it would focus on toning muscles. :-)

Really, it is awesome.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 6:58 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• great, thanks!! I'll have to try it out....I'm looking to do it at home so that's a bonus, I have a two year old :)
    aidansmyheart

Comment by aidansmyheart (original poster) at 7:01 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Windsor Pilates, I think I bought them at Target or WalMart a few years back. Pretty sure they still sell them. Do you have cable with On Demand or something similiar? They usually have shows from Fit TV and other fitness channels ready to play anytime you want.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 7:07 PM on Aug. 22, 2010