my child (13) has been put on Celexa. He now shakes/trembles, talks very fast and has some odd thoughts. PLEASE TELL ME IF THIS IS NORMAL?????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:41 PM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Health

• I was on Celexa for approximately a year and never had anything like that happen. You should call his doctor this doesn't sound normal. Google side effects for Celexa and see what you get. I remember having a dry mouth but that was it. His sypmtoms sound severe and I would be conserned.
    norbert

Answer by norbert at 7:50 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• No, it's not normal. There are other things they can put your child on. Call your Dr. promptly and let them know what his side effect are.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 8:10 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Call your physician now and report the behavior and symptoms. They are not normal and may not even be side effects of the drug. Don't wait until tomorrow, especially with the "odd thoughts" he is expressing. Stay with him to be sure he is safe until this is relieved. If you do not get satisfaction or a timely response from the practitioner, take him to the emergency room for an evaluation. This isn't something I would wait on.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 8:22 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Don't let him take anymore! Stop using it, call his doctor and keep him off this one! This is too scary to mess with.
    VirginiaLW

Answer by VirginiaLW at 9:25 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Are you sure it is not an unrelated cause? I know I had something similar happen, and it was my blood sugar. I also know someone else who had a vitamin D deficiency and celexa caused them to tremble. Once they got on vitamins they were good to go. If you can think of no reason why they might shake other than Celexa, I would ask your child be moved to a different kind of medication. Good luck!
    OmbreGracieuse

Answer by OmbreGracieuse at 11:31 AM on Sep. 7, 2010