I don't get it.

Congress just passed another stimulous right? I thought the intent of all this money was to keep teachers employed. Why was my aunt the special ed teacher laid off? All her kids are now going to be mainstreamed. These are Autistic and devolpmentally delayed students. She has a Master's degree and I would imagine her salary is slightly higher but I don't get it. Anyone else confused? Where did the money go?

sopranomommy

Asked by sopranomommy at 6:50 PM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• OP, I'm sorry to hear that your aunt was laid off. That is ridiculous! Of course she is needed. I am all for mainstreaming to a degree, but there is definitely a need for special ed classes. The other students will suffer from the disruptions in the class, and it will make it next to impossible for the teachers to do their jobs.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 8:43 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Does she teach in one of the 5 states the money went to? That wasn't a nationwide "save the teachers" stimulus. Plus, none of the money has been released. It is being held by the unions to sure-up the pension plans. That is what it was going to be used for all along. This is just more of PBO's commitment to the unions. They gave millions of union money to campaigns to get people elected when teachers and other union workers gave their dues for the benefits, the pensions, and the other goodies offered. They use that money to get candidates in office.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:55 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Seems to me it looks as though it is A political game democrats and unions have played all too often.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:00 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I'm not surprised. I posted about this last week I think . Check out the link.

Link text
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 7:11 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Most of the money was used to plug holes in school budgets, not re-hire teachers.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 6:55 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I'm as confused as you are! I just don't understand either, sorry. Maybe someone will clue us in-
    jamiesuev22

Answer by jamiesuev22 at 6:56 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I have no idea where the money is goin but our teachers are really gettin the bad end of the stick.
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 9:40 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• http://socialistworker.org/2010/08/19/stealing-money-from-teachers

This is a good article that explains a lot about what is going on.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:33 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Teachers need their Viagra more. I wish I was not making that up.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:06 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I figured there was a catch I wasn't aware of. She had a position until this past week when they let her go.
    sopranomommy

Comment by sopranomommy (original poster) at 6:58 PM on Aug. 22, 2010