How to treat a cold sore?

I got a cold sore this morning I hate it. I am using abreva but I guess I should have used it sooner like when I first felt the sign I just ignored it, Now my cold sore looks swollen and painful my lymth nodes feel swollen I am scared. I have had cold sores before but this time it is very different, I am so concerned. Can anyone tell me what I could do for now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:44 PM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Health

• Yes its contagious. At some point someone w/ a cold sore kissed you or touched you with it on their hands. Its a type of herpes but not the genital kind. be warned you can transfer it to someone else genitals if you touch them there with your face when you have one. You can not transfer it if you dont have a visable sore unlike the genital kind of herpes (you can spread that around w/out any outward symptoms). Its a virus that lives in the cells by your mouth/lip area. It starts out looking like a red pimple then blisters up and is painful, burning, and itchy . Eventually it scabs over & heals. A dr. can prescribe an ointment to help heal it (or your dentist can). Sometime you do get swollen lymph nodes on that side but that's usually not serious. Abreva is a good OTC to use. I've been getting cold sores in 2 spots on my face since I was young. (in fact I am currently healing up from one right now)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:43 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Have it checked out by a physician to diagnose and treat this one.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 8:16 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• See a doctor to get it treated correctly & I wouldn't wait you can get scars from this
    Anonymous

• Can someone tell me anything about this? Like how is it contracted? Is this like a herpes disease? what does it look like in it's earlier stages? Does it burn, itch? Where can this present itself & is it contagious? Thank you
    Anonymous

• Also adding that I've been getting them for year & years & never have I had a scar from it. I get it in 2 specific spots (on my right side upper lip and on my lower left chin area) The one on my chin can get really ugly and big and gross looking but it heals and goes away. When it heals up and goes away you can never tell it was there. They are aggravated by illness (colds/flu/ect), stress, and in my case if I have dental work on that side of my face a few days later I usually break out. Some people are also get an outbreak of it when they are in the sun a lot ( I read this but this does not affect me in that way)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:47 AM on Oct. 9, 2008