Grandma wants paid to watch son ...and i think it is wrong !!!

My mother in law has been living with us for close to a year ( we pay for EVERYTHING, and even give her money when she wants to "go out" ) ... We have a 7 year old son who rides the bus to our house after school ( they start back tomorrow) and then my husband and I both get home 25 minutes after he is dropped off ... Last year she refused to watch him after school for that 25 mintues... and so my neighbor/friend would ( for free... and then I would sometimes watch her kids for free... that is just how we do it to help each other out) ... well she then started complaining because our son wouldnt call her grandma & didnt want to spend time with her ( SHE was the one who didnt want to spend time with him ) , & also my neighbor is busy most days at that time this year .. So she says she will get him off the bus ( in front of the house) and watch him for 25 mintues. She wants $10 for the 25 min. and $10 for each additional MINUTE

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:06 PM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• well the $10 for each additional minitue is ridiculous. i would just give her the 10 bucks for babysitting. and then when she wants some pocket money remind her that she has a job now ;)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:07 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Tell Grandma that you'd be happy to pay her for her time, because she's rightfully entitled to be compensated for her efforts.

Then tell her that rent payment is (insert amount here) and her share of the electric bill is (insert amount here) and her share of the water bill is (insert amount here) and her share of the grocery bill is (insert amount here), and that there will be no more giving her money when she wants to go out.

I'm assuming that this conversation will encourage Grandma to change her view.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 7:08 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• what dont give that grown ass women anything and remind her u and your DH pay for everything and that she lucky enough u didnt charging her to live there
    cnoble927

Answer by cnoble927 at 7:08 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• That's a bit over the top... If she is living with you and you are paying everything then you would think she could help you out for 30 min a day...What else does she do? (seriously not being mean lol)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:09 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• $5 should suffice, $10 is a bit much for 25 minutes. And like princessbeth suggests, don't fork over any more money to her. Sounds like you got quite the MIL there, does hubby ever step in and deal with her?
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 7:10 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Ha! Whatever. I would agree to pay her BUT then tell her in the same sentence that you'll be charging her TO LIVE WITH YOU! Seriously, I could understand her wanting to get paid for it if she were helping pay bills, etc but if she's living there for free then no way would I pay her to keep your son. And on a side note, if she doesnt really want to spend time with him, maybe you should ask yourself if you really want her around your son at all? I mean, what if she doesnt treat him fairly because she's mad at you or something? kwim?
    actuallyamanda

Answer by actuallyamanda at 7:10 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• aliceinalgonac has it right. I couldn't have said it better. :-)
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 7:10 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I think this is ridiculous. Doesn't she have any income? Does she have habits she needs to support? What does your husband say? This is crazy. What in the world is she thinking of? Are you well off and she broke?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:10 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Tell Grandma to get off her a@@ or hit the road! If you're reaaly provide here with what you say you are and receive nothing from her for that support, then she's screwed up.
    2boimommy

Answer by 2boimommy at 7:11 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I'd just give her a list of all of the things you are going to charge HER for since she's leaching off of you. Maybe there is a good reason she is living with you but I would wonder if she is being a very good influence on your son. Good luck, I feel for you!
    Bears.Mommy

Answer by Bears.Mommy at 7:11 PM on Aug. 22, 2010