what would you think if an 18 month old had a broken arm. He has a cast from his fingers up to his shoulder.

This lady keeps her son in his crib sometimes all day long she says he wont cry to get out she says he will play in his crib for hours. One time he was in his crib from 10:30am until 7pm. She makes her kids eat stuff they don't like just because someone else likes it and she believes you should eat it anyway because someone else likes it. She told me one time that she shoved food down her 9 year olds throat because he wouldn't eat it. Anyway now this baby has a broken arm at 18 months it maybe nothing, but when she tells you all this and you hear her yelling at her kids to shut up what would you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:15 PM on Aug. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• The baby may have fell trying to climb out of his crib... I TRY not to jump to conclusions when I dont personally know the entire situation b/c my son is extremely accident prone, He has busted his head wide open and gashed his mouth all the way through twice one on each side b/c he is just sooo clumsy and he is a daredevil. It is by no means from abuse or neglect, so I would hate to assume in another persons situation...
    I would call DFCS just to ease my own mind though if I had WITNESSED any type of verbal mental or physical abuse.
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 7:59 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Making her children eat foods they don't like is not a sign of abuse.

When an injured child appears in the ER, it is protocol to investigate - to look for signs of abuse. If the x-rays did not indicate that type of a break and the hospital believed the child to be safe, then it's the injury is just an accident.

Unless you live there, you don't know how much time the child spends in his crib.
    findingharmony

Answer by findingharmony at 7:21 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• With all that you described, that would be a red flag to me.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 7:16 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• You better make sure your facts are straight before making any kind of accusation

Answer by older at 7:28 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• the hospital must know if something is going on, if you see her physically harm her children or neglect them then call that it, don't call in hear say
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 7:17 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• THe arm alone doesn't mean anything to me at 18 months my daughter was in a full leg cast toes to hip. The other stuff combined makes me wonder. If your unsure of all the details I wouldn't do anything. If you are sure then I would call someone.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:19 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• She seems to tell you all other kinds of stuff, why don't you ask her what happened to the babies arm? If you have a funny feeling about it..if you doubt her story and you think these kids are truly in harms way...call Child Protective Services. They will just do an investigation on her..if they feel nothing is going on..case closed..no damage done. But if something is going on in that house to those kids..I'd rather call on her than worry what she might think about someone calling on her.
    I personally am not one to cause anyone trouble..but for something like that..where theres all these red flags sticking up and if I had a gut instinct..I'd call. First priority to me is the saftey and well being of a child.
    Good Luck.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 7:21 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• i'd call cps, the cast not a huge red flag 18 month olds can be dare devils but when you add in the other stuff ESP the crib its concerning keep a log of all the red flags you exhibit and when you have a decent amount of evidence give it to cps. You don't need to be a perfect parent to have kids and she may not necesarrily need her children to be taken away but maybe a little educatio would be beneficial and thats what cps is there for protecting our children and equipping parents with the skills to be better parents
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 7:23 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• If it were just the arm, I would think that the poor thing probably had an accident. (I worked with a guy whose 20 mo old fell out of his high chair and broke his collar bone). It sounds like this woman is at best neglectful. I would hope that the hospital checked things out when they treated the baby.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:23 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• abuse.
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 7:23 PM on Aug. 22, 2010