How do I get my 1 month old to stop crying & sleep?

I am in desperate need of anything to help me to get my baby to sleep! He is 1 month old & was said to have reflux & I am assuming colic because the formula he was switched to is for colicky babies. I do not know if colicky babies just cry & cry & cry & fight sleep or what, but he just seems to never want to sleep! My husband & I take turns walking & bouncing around the house, patting his butt, singing to him & it just takes him hours to go to sleep! Are we supposed to just let him cry if he is fed, has a clean diaper & is burped? Anyone please help!

LDA33

Asked by LDA33 at 7:32 PM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son loved the sound of the dryer or the vacuum. I also got a radio and put it on the white noise.
    jennient3

Answer by jennient3 at 7:35 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• He is way too young to leave him to cry, he was to be comforted because this is the only thing to do with colicky babies, be patient it will be over soon, I had one of those babies and I know how exasperating it can be, rock the baby, wrap him up like they do at the hospital, do whatever it takes to soothe him, but just don't let him cry without responding to him.

Answer by older at 7:36 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• what formula is he on you could try nutramagen but here are some tricks, a nice warm bath and then a swaddle and some upright rocking (our son had reflux he slept in a swing and hammock until he was 9 months old because it kept him slightly upright) remember when he is laying down the acid is going up his tiny little esophogus and it hurts your little guy didnt know what pain was until he came out of you and life kind of sucks now. white noise is also awesome dr harvey karp makes an awesome cd of womb compliation sounds that our son loved (his pedi said he was the most colicky baby she had ever seen in her 30 years of practice) some babies like being massaged even if it's just their hands or feet and being sug to helps but i swear on my life put him in the swing and he will be out like a light and dont feel guilty about it putting ot little guy in the swing was the difference between getting one hour of sleep and 4
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 7:45 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• http://www.buy.com/prod/fisher-price-soothing-motions-glider/q/listingid/97777501/loc/20269/214564282.html during one of our sons many hospital stays we were introduced to this product and it saved our life he slept in it till he was old eough to crawl out of it it's a little on the pricey side but it's worth it's weight in gold you can pick them up on ebay for less sometimes
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 7:47 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• My 7 week old has colic and reflux... He cried alot! I started giving him cereal at 4 weeks and it helped tremendously. He is on alimentum formula. Also I found that he is unusually fond of the outside. I take him outside in his vibrating bouncy seat alot. He also likes the sound of a vacuum cleaner or the tv or music with alot of base... If you need help you can message me... I have a bunch more soothing methods that may help...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 7:50 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Having a baby changes everything. You can't just let a baby cry. You have to hold the baby. If your baby is already on special formula it could be a long first year or more. It's not too late to breastfeed. You can call a La Leche League Leader for help. Most moms that think they can't breastfeed really can. Virtually all women (in the whole world) can breastfeed.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:53 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I know alot of people say cereal is bad...whatever I fed my boys cereal at young ages and they slept amazing. I have a 9 month old who has slept since i gave him cereal at three weeks old from 8:30 p till about 9 am. I would try some cereal to soak up some of the acid and it'll sit a little harder on the belly to they will sleep more. I know my way is not the socially acceptable thing to do but my doctor (and me) swears by this.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 7:55 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I would NOT recommend anything besides breast milk or formula for a one month old. Are you opposed to cosleeping? If not, that can help. Why did the doctor say reflux, and is he treating it at all? Personally, I don't think that a baby this young should be sleeping for 12 hrs. Babies are supposed to wake up to eat, etc. Have you tried a sling or a wrap? What is your bedtime routine, if you have one?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:23 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I also agree that if you are open to breastfeeding, it's not too late and could help.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:24 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Try this, swaddle him up nice and tight, put him in a bouncer or swing, run the vac. I SWEAR by it. It will save you life. I got best answer for the same exact question with like 20 answers. IT WORKS!! It reminds them of being in the womb. My SIL was having the same issue a few weeks ago and she thought I was crazy, but she finally tried it and she called me thanking me!! Also google happiest baby on the block. That is all so a life saver. Please let me know what happened after you tried this! GL!!!
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 9:12 PM on Aug. 22, 2010