how old is too old for a paci?

i took my son's away at six months bc he screamed at it when he couldn't get it back into his mouth. he thought of it as more of a toy. what about you? do you think toddlers should have them?

angevil53

Asked by angevil53 at 7:34 PM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• No I don't think toddlers should have one. I also think after 6 mths it should be taken away. I have seen almost 8 yr olds(not joking) at Walmart with them in there mouths.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 7:35 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Apparently someone doesn't like pacifiers after a certain age considering all the negative votes... whatever. My dd had hers at bedtime until she turned 2. Bring on the negative votes! lol
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 7:45 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• IMO paci's should go away between 6 and 8 months. I think any older is too old...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 7:38 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• IMO by 12-18 months it should be moved to the bed only.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:35 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• most of mine would not take a paci but the one that did was about 3 or 4 months. They were all weaned off the bottle at a year.
    nanny29

Answer by nanny29 at 7:45 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I had a rule that I would take it as soon as he started trying to talk with it in his mouth. which happened to be around 10-11 months.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 7:54 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Our dentist says after 12 months it is doing damage to their teeth. My first would never take it and used me as one instead and my second I worked full time while DH stayed home and she would only take it if I wasn't around and refused it after about 7 months old. My niece was still taking hers at nap and bed time until a few months ago and she just turned 4 years old. IMO that is WAY to old. She has speech issues that the therapist says are related to her having it in all the time until the therapist said no more around 2 years old. My sister still gave it to her at nap and bed though.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:56 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• No such thing. Every child is different, every child has different needs. When your child is ready, you will know. Some kids have them longer than others. My 3yo never wanted one, but my 4yo has only been without one totally for about 8 weeks... A lot of people had issues with the fact that my son had one so long, but he has an anxiety issue, and needed one. It was his way of coping with the anxiety... Taking it to early would have only added to that issue... We are due with number 3 in Dec. and I will once again let her decide when she is done...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:55 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I generally think they should be taken away around 18 months. Two is definitely two old
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 7:37 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Oops, I meant I wouldn't let him have it unless he was in bed.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:42 PM on Aug. 22, 2010