How do you know if your kids are ready to give up naps?

I have a 3 year old and a 2 year old that I have to fight every day to take a nap. Takes about 2 hours at least to get them down. When should I give up the fight?

RunzWithScissor

Asked by RunzWithScissor at 7:38 PM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• When they can get through the whole day without falling asleep or being cranky. My 4 yr old dd still takes a nap during the afternoon because if she doesn't, she ends up falling asleep right before dinner.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 7:41 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Naps were my decision, not the decision of my child. I would say the right time to give up naps is when YOU are ready to give up naps.

Most young children can benefit from a nap, even though they may not want it. It's possible that you just need a good consistent and efficient routine at naptime to help with the process.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 7:41 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I'd say they are ready lol. My son is just going from 2 naps a day to one, and we just follow his lead. Most days he takes one long one in the late morning and doesn't get sleepy again until bedtime. If they aren't showing signs of sleepiness, I don't see a point in making them nap.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 7:41 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• They are ready to stop napping.... If they are tired they will sleep...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 7:42 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I quit making my daughter nap when it got to the point where I was fighting her to take one, and when she did take one, I was fighting her to go to bed at night. I'm talking 2 hours of round and round and fits and headaches at bed time. Bed times were much easier once she quit napping. I think she was around 3 when we cut them out completely.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 7:42 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• They have found out that they can fight it and win (sometimes). My 3 1/2 year old needs it desperately. If she does not nap, she cannot do anything in the afternoon and she cannot participate in dinner and family time. We all are just so much happier if she has napped.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:44 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Alice and tootoobusy both have it right - children often need naps whether they want them or not. It's not always easy, I understand.
    3boysandmekmcd

Answer by 3boysandmekmcd at 7:45 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• My girls took naps until they started kindergarten. They didn't always like it, but it was best for them.
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 7:46 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• My "babies" are 11 and 17 now. They too took naps until kindergarten. Even when they didn't want to nap, they often needed it and behaved much better on days when they had napped. And studies show that naps are good for growing bodies.
    findingharmony

Answer by findingharmony at 7:50 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• My children stopped napping around 2.5 years old. They fought me on them so I let them go without for a few days and they were not cranky in the evenings so they were allowed to not take them anymore. They had a slightly earlier bedtime (about half an hour) and slept much better through the night after that too. They may or may not be ready to quit, but the only way to tell is to try it and see if they get cranky without them before bedtime.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:52 PM on Aug. 22, 2010