People who have had pregnant dogs....

My dog is pregnant (accidental we tried to keep them away from each other but he found her) and she is "due" to have them this Wednesday. Anyone who has had a pregnant dog, has your dog gone earlier than their due date or later? This is my first time dealing with this and I'm trying to find out if they normally go over or earlier....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:47 PM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Pets

• your dogs temperature will drop less then 99 degrees 24 hours before she goes into labor. take her temp everyday until she goes into labor. they can go early, later or right on time. like i said take her temp and within 24 hrs her babies will be due. a dogs regular temp is over 101.00 or 102.00. good luck puppies are exciting. also she should be watched carefully and you be by her side while she delivers. if a puppy gets stuck don't pull on it. gently push it back in and then insert a finger to stimulate her cervic to stimulate contractions. she will push out the puppies with every contraction so need to pull on puppies. if anything happens google search what is going on and you'll get lots of info on birthing puppies. good luck, safe whelping.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 4:27 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Her temp will drop, and most likely she will stop eating and drinking when she starts labor. If you want you can give her some raspberry tea daily about a cup until she is due, this helps with the labor. All puppies should be born within a 24 hour period, don't worry or fret too terribly if the pups don't come out bang bang bang, she will need some time in between to calm down and regain some strenght. Offer her small amounts of water and give her time to aquaint herself with each pup. When she begins to bare down in preperation for the next pup, remove the ones already born to a box with a heating pad under a towel set on low. Have fun, it is pretty amazing.
    jojuzach

Answer by jojuzach at 7:34 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• The only pregnant dog we ever had we didn't realize she was pregnant. She had constant false pregnancies so we were just never aware. We found out like the night before that she was having them (I think we finally took her to the vet because she was acting so strange).
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 7:51 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Sometimes they can go early, or sometimes later. It really just depends... She'll let you know when she goes into labor.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 7:54 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• our dog just had puppies in june. The best way to know when the puppies are gonna come is to keep and eye on the dog. Our dog spent the last few weeks of her pregnancy looking miserable and just lying around. The day the puppies were born she was restless... she kept getting up and walking around the house and dragging things into her corner of the living room. She just looked like she couldn't relax at all. I told my husband to keep and eye on her and at about midnight she went into labor. Typically they get restless the last day.
    justduckie_mom

Answer by justduckie_mom at 8:01 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• yes, ours has gone earlier, but we were never really sure of the exact date. you can take her rectal temperature about every 6 hours and when her temp starts to go up she is starting labor, also alot of panting. GL
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 5:13 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• is it up or down with the temp? I thought it was up...sorry. Better google I guess
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 5:14 PM on Aug. 23, 2010