fuming mad...

My husband is obsessed with the idea that my daughter HAS to go to school next year ..3 weeks after she turns 5. She is smart and I do work with her with things like trying to write her name and letters and numbers... but she isnt getting it and likes to color.. to me I think she just isnt ready to and it is fine to go when she is 6. My husband then told me the only reason I say that she can wait is because I dont want to work with her so I can get online and sit around all day... and insists that I do stay online ALL DAY ...

It makes me mad because the only time I get online is for about 20 mintues in the morning ( to check emails) and in the evening when they go to bed. The house is clean, laundry is done, 3 + meals are homemade, I play with the kids and I teach them.... when he is home he gets on the internet, yells at me and the kids, and then goes to bed THAT IS ALL HE DOES !!! It makes me soo seething mad ....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:09 PM on Aug. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• How can you be on line ALL DAY, if your wanting to keep your child home? Sounds like he's a little confused, does he understand you'll have more time on line if she DOES GO TO SCHOOL? Heneeds a lesson or 2 himself.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 9:01 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• if that's his reasoning, then wouldn't it make more sense for you to be in favor of her going now..so you can be online all day?? assuming that's what he thinks you do.
    i say, stop doing all you do, and when he comes home to a dirty house, no dinner, etc. he'll get a better picture of what you do all day. it also sounds like he's a bit controlling. you're the one who is home with your dd; if you think she's not ready, there's no crime in keeping her home another year. what's his reasoning for putting her in sooner?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:12 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Is there somewhere you can take her to have her tested to see if the school thinks she is ready? He isn't going to listen to you but maybe he will listen to professionals.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 8:13 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Tell him to stick it where then sun don't shine for assuming that you do nothing all day and thats the reason you don't think shes ready to go to school.
    And to prove your point..i would go get her tested and see what the professionals have to say.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:18 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Could you have her evaluated for her readiness by an impartial party? That said, I'll give you my experience. My son started last year - his birthday was 1 day before the cut off and he started a month and half before he turned 5. He knew his ABC's colors etc, but did not know how to write them or his name or things like that. I'd had him evaluated b/c of speech delays and they said he was fine to start. I'd decided to start him rather than wait. At the end of the year, he could write his long 1st and last name, read simple books, simple math and so much more!!! If you think she should wait, then that's what you should do, but don't hold her back b /c she can't write her name. That's not usually one of the requirments for starting kindergarten, but usually one of the requirements for promoting to 1st grade.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 8:19 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• ok we are talking a year away correct? A lot can happen in that year. See where she is then and fight it out then. Some kids are ready at that time and others aren't. Look to see where she is then.
    mommy2boys03

Answer by mommy2boys03 at 8:23 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• this should be the real reason we keep our new 5's in an early childhood education world...the Jr. High transition. A year later mixing with boys at dances, changing 6 classes a day, no play ground only benches and PE. I think the transition at 11 is huge and a 12 year old going to 6th 7th and 8th grade is just one year older to handle it. Lots of assignments, grades give you access to activities...you get the idea~Oh, and they are estrogenizing at this stage too....
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 8:16 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• In my state, SC, you either have to be registered in school or home schooled at the age of 5. That is a long ways away why not wait until then to see where she is?
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 8:24 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Its always about what they think or perceive you to be doing when I stayed at home my SO was always asking me when one of our children was having a hard time in school why I did not help him and he did not understand everything I did and maybe yours does not understand everything we you do you should explain what you said and say if I wanted her to go on the Internet all day I would be pushing a child who is not ready faster. GL Momma

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 8:24 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• The kindergarten screening is for testing kids to see if they are ready. Remember, though, you do have a whole year before she's ready to go and children develop a lot in a year. Maybe she will be ready next year at this time. However, it sounds like there are bigger problems in your family than when your daughter starts school. Why is your husband yelling at you and your children? Talk to him about the big issues and try to get it worked out for you and your kids.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:28 PM on Aug. 22, 2010