Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

can you legally get married here in the us if you came here illegally?

i mean if you came here without papers or a passport how can you get married ?
my sis claims she got married at the j o p but how can it be legally bound if her husband came here illegally?
what happens to the couple if they get deported? do they all get deported even the kids?

Answer Question

Asked by justgg at 7:48 PM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Relationships

Level 5 (58 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • Not sure how they got a marriage license from the courthouse without proper id. If he is here illegally then only he gets deported....unless the children came here illegally as well. If they were born here then they don't have to go. Marriage records are public record. Go to the courthouse to see if a real license was obtained and if it was recorded. If it is then ask the Court Clerk if it's legal if he's not here legally.

    Answer by admckenzie at 7:55 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

  • I don't know how that works cause i some people don't have their papers and they pay to marry someone so they can stay, i never understood how all that works.

    Answer by BabyGsMaMa13 at 7:56 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

  • They only have to have a birth certificate. Your sister is a citizen right? Then she can't be deported neither can her children. Her hubby still can though. I suggest they get an atty on Monday and start the paperwork. And they can't be on any kind of public assistance when they go through the court system. Sorry, if you didn't want all of that but, I figured I would throw that in there my friend married an illegal and they had a hard time wading through all of the red tape.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 7:57 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

  • yes, you can. That is how my MIL became a legal citizen.

    Answer by LovinEveryDay at 8:02 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

  • yes! and I did it too!

    Answer by hotmamma_79 at 8:10 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

  • its legal because if one of them is a citizen getting married with an illegal makes him or her legal

    Answer by _MORENA_ at 8:33 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

  • You certainly can..that's how my niece's husband is now legal. All you need to get married is a birth certificate. No one is going to get deported...unless he married her only for citizenship and they find out.

    Answer by jespeach at 8:38 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

  • Here in NC, all I'll have to do is provide my SSN and my boyfriend will have to provide his passport. No biggie =]

    His brother is married to an American and he's now a legal resident. Not the same as a citizen, but he's in the long waiting period before you can become a citizen at the moment.

    But to answer your question, yes, you can legally get married here if you came here illegally.

    Answer by caitxrawks at 8:47 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

  • OK. Yes you can legally get married. The illegal person must provide a birth certificate from their native country and it has to be a certified (raised seal) copy. I would, however, recommend contacting an immigration attorney asap so that he can begin the naturalization process. And as far as the children go, so long as they were born in the US, they are legal. They are issued a US birth certificate and issued a SS card.

    Answer by paralegalmommy at 8:54 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.