What is the best way to get my child to stop throwing fits when she doesn't want to do something?

She seems to be adamant about throwing fits..and when I say fits I mean she screams at the top of her lungs and throws her body down on to the floor...I've tried everything I can think of from holding her to letting her throw the fit. I don't know how much more I can take! HELP!!!

MumziePie

Asked by MumziePie at 8:16 PM on Aug. 22, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Completely ignore her when she acts like that. Walk out of the room. Don't even acknowledge the fit. SHe may follow you to the other room.Walk away, lock yourself in your bedroom or bathroom, wherever you can go that you can totally ignore her behavior. ANd no matter what..DO NOT give in to whatever she is throwing a fit over.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:21 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I am out of votes, but kimberly's answer is excellent. Do not give her any reaction. Not negative or positive.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:26 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I know it is so hard. My oldest used to scream so loud my ears would vibrate and hurt. Just do not give in and soon she will realize that it will not work. But try to recognize situations before they are a problem or avoid them. Like let her bring a toy to the store....or let her know that we will be leaving in 10 minutes..then 5 minutes. Explain the agenda. stay consistent. If for example she begins to throw a fit at the store...then you leave right there and she does not get the privilege of going with you next time...and she stays home. Believe me I have been there..Cafemom knows as I have asked advice plenty of times with my twins and daughter. They get past this stage and this gets better. Just hang in there...everything will be o.k.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 8:27 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• when mine threw fits I put them in their room and let them throw it. told them they can come out when they are done
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:44 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• My only worry is because we live in an apartment that someone will call Child protective services...she sounds as if we are beating her....it scares me....
    MumziePie

Comment by MumziePie (original poster) at 1:14 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• How old is your child? I cannot imagine a child older than 5 doing that, but my son never did have fits even as a toddler. i would just ignore it and make sure there is no positive outcome of said fits.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:58 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I do the same as charlotsomtimes. When my son (5) pitches a fit, he must go into his room and he can only come out when he's ready to be normal again. Then, we can talk about what bothered him. You must stay calm and not try to get louder than her. It won't work.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:21 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• bump and gl
    san78

Answer by san78 at 9:18 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• She's 5. I really appreciate all the advice! Yall are awesome.
    MumziePie

Comment by MumziePie (original poster) at 3:33 AM on Aug. 25, 2010