Any ideas

Hi Everyone I have a 3 yr son and I need ideas on how to teach my Son manners and respect?

Emilyrose200809

Asked by Emilyrose200809 at 8:39 PM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Teach by example, if you show your good manner he will pick it up and respect is the same thing.

Answer by older at 8:41 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Modeling and praising when he uses them. Encourage everyone to participate. Try to find other children a little older who have good manners for him to observe.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:42 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I agree, teach by example, but also, if their is a behavior he is doing that he doesn't like, you need to correct it and tell him, do this instead sweetie...or if you want him to start doing something, like if he says apple, tell him, say may i please have an apple. we taught our oldest by situational experiances, and she's catching on pretty good.
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 8:42 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• You can explain why and when we say please and thank you , but I agree with PP that they learn best by example.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:43 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• As always Older has the great advise!
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 8:43 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• just keep drilling it into him like if he wants something make him say please and thank you before you give it to him .and if you do these things to him and in front of him then he will pick it up alot faster to .
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 8:52 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• All of the above and .... other children with good manners really do rub off. At this age every child has a small desire to be like his friends. Also, there are a series of EXCELLENT children's books by Bill Cosby .... they include a diverse set of characters, using manners and conflict/resolution situations in each story. When I worked in child care we would read a book each day to deal with what every issues we were seeing i.e cutting in line (fairness), talking back (respect) etc.... Now we used hundreds of different books now just the Cosby ones. I had a local librarian help me to local these books regularly. I would also discuss the book with the child/children and try to get a conversation started about what had been read. This activity encourages manners, reading, summarizing, language development and socializing with your child. I know this might sound hard ... but its worth a try. message me 4 more

lmt_mom2010

Answer by lmt_mom2010 at 8:55 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• let him see you doin it daily..
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 11:11 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Thanks Everyone for all the ideas.
    God Bless
    Emilyrose200809

Comment by Emilyrose200809 (original poster) at 7:14 PM on Aug. 23, 2010