Judge not... We hear this so much on CM.... Here's how I feel exactly about that verse.

This is a Bible commentary by John Gill.

Ver. 1. Judge not, that ye be not judged. This is not to be understood of any sort of judgment; not of judgment in the civil courts of judicature, by proper magistrates, which ought to be made and pass, according to the nature of the case; nor of judgment in the churches of Christ, where offenders are to be called to an account, examined, tried, and dealt with according to the rules of the Gospel; nor of every private judgment, which one man may make upon another, without any detriment to him; but of rash judgment, interpreting men's words and deeds to the worst sense, and censuring them in a very severe manner; even passing sentence on them, with respect to their eternal state and condition. Good is the advice given by the famous Hillell {u}, who lived a little before Christ's time;

"Do not judge thy neighbor, (says he,) until thou comest into his place.''

Cont below...

Tes...Jacksmami

Asked by Tes...Jacksmami at 8:47 PM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Ever notice that it's never the suspicious, untrusting people who get mudered?? It's always the good, trusting, religious person. Judging people and situations keep you alive. Judging the actions of other groups--especially negative actions--keeps you safe from those actions. This is sensible as it prolongs your life. Judging the actions of others that have no negative effects on you or society is passing judgement. It makes NO sense. It doesn't improve life or change any situtation. We pass judgement on things we have personal knowlege of, of course, but we also pass judgement on things that we have NO personal knowlege of. It's human nature. People lie. People are deceitful. And some people are dangerous. If you are good and trusting towards everyone you meet, you could end up very dead.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:50 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I see so many people who seem to think that "judge not" means that we should not have convictions about what is right and wrong, and if we do, we should not say so out loud. I was taught that judging a person is the same as condemning. For example, if a person commits a horrible crime and I say, "That person is a horrible piece of *%!$ who doesn't deserve to live!", that is judging. If I say, abuse of a child is a horrible evil, I am identifying something that I believe is wrong, but I am not judging/condemning the person. Love the sinner, hate the sin.

Is that at all like the point you are making, OP?
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:00 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Amen! I hate it when people say who is going to hell. As Christians, we are called to pray for everyone. There are probably many deathbed conversions, with people repenting of their sin and asking forgiveness. It's not our place to say who is going to heaven or hell.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:07 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Yes! There is a difference between good judging and bad judging. It is good to patiently exhort and rebuke out of love for their soul because people with itching ears will wander away from the truth (2 Tim 4:2-4). And we are supposed to avoid those who actively disobey God's will (Matt 10:13-14, Titus 3:9-11, 1 Cor 5:9-13) which requires judgment of actions. But it is bad to judge a condemnation (like you said), judge using double-standards, hypocrisy or with self-righteousness.

In Matthew 7:1-3, Jesus does not condemn the taking of the speck out of our brothers eye (judgment); He wants us to take the beam out of our eye first.
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 10:51 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Yes this is what our sermon was about today I loved it. It identifies how I feel a lot :)
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 11:39 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Well I feel if your soapbox is on an internet forum or a chat room, it must not be that strong of a case.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:42 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I think there is no possible way to NOT cast judgement. We all judge each other from how we dress, what we drive, how we act, what we eat etc. etc. Like Witchqueen said it is human nature. There's no getting around it. However I don't judge based on things like religion or sexual preferences. Big things like that are best left to God if he even exists. But if I see a tall guy in a hockey mask with an axe, I'm sorry I am judging him as dangerous and getting away as fast as I can.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:52 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Yes. :)
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 8:52 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• 'Love the sinner, hate the sin"

Sin does not factually exist, and is a fabrication of the christian religion so as to implement control through means of fear mongering.

So, in short you are proclaiming that it is inappropriate to judge someone, and yet that it is your purpose to judge, and to condemn the sin... which, by default places judgment on the "sinner" as well.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:24 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Sin does not factually exist, and is a fabrication of the christian religion so as to implement control through means of fear mongering.

Does the christian religion fabricate death? People are really incognito, reincarnated, or whatever or it is a part of life, right? Who are you to say wether sin exists or not?
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 2:42 PM on Aug. 23, 2010