The best way to teach a 1 and a half yr old no?

My 17 month old daughter will not stop turning off our TV. I tell her no and we do not make a big deal out of it. I have tried getting her mind on something else when I see her going toward the TV but as soon as shes done she will go turn it off. She doesn't like sitting in her jumparoo much anymore so I tried putting her in it for a min. or two each time she turned it off but that doesn't help either.
I would greatly appreciate any advice you may have to offer.
Thanks.

butterfly227

Asked by butterfly227 at 8:53 PM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Consistency is the only answer. If something is "no" once it should be "no" always, no exceptions. Continue to create a consequence also so that doing what she wants to do is not worth the consequence. Eventually she will learn, but she will test you. Good luck.
    HelenCarlene

Answer by HelenCarlene at 8:57 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• hahaaa...memories...
    oh sorry
    good luck with this- redirect, a LOT
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:57 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Move the tv so she cant reach the on and off button, cut it off before she gets there, or walk her over to the tv and say no. If she does it again repeat it and place her in time out. She is old enough to sit in a time out chair/ or time away chair.
    mochalatta20

Answer by mochalatta20 at 8:59 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• "We don't make a big deal out of it" .. That's your problem. I'm not saying go all armagedon on her, but you need to let her know that when you say "No" you mean it. If you just walk up like you're about to play dolls and say "No, sweetie, but thanks for helping" she's going to laugh you off. If you go up, grab her hand firmly (but not to hurt her), look her in the eye and say "I said 'No'." She will understand you mean what you're saying. Don't walk egg shells around her. Be firm, be forceful, and follow through with the punishment you choose. If she continues to do it, then do a time out. In the corner or on a bare piece of wall with no view of the TV or toys. She sits there for one minute. If she gets up put her back each time silently. She'll get what she's there for and eventually will stay. The way you spoke of it, it sounded like you're being her buddy. Don't. You're her MOTHER. Not her friend.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:10 PM on Aug. 22, 2010