Am I being fair or too hard on him?

My son, Joshua is 10 years old.
About 3 weeks ago, I taught him how to do laundry.

I would have him do a load here and there to help me out because its hard for me to run up and down the basement stairs being this far along in the pregnancy and it was causing me to have contractions.

Well, dh was doing laundry all day and just when he put the last load in the dryer, my son tosses down a TON of dirty clothes from his bedroom...I mean ..a TON.

I don't think he's put any in the laundry for like 2 weeks.I've reminded him every few days to put his dirty clothes in the basement to be washed..but I havent harped on it. I want him to do things without me yelling at him.

SO..I made him wash all his clothes himself and told him that is going to be his job from now on, to wash ALL of his own clothes. If he has no clean clothes, thats his own fault.

DO you think thats fair? He doesnt seem to think so,lol.

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 8:55 PM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Great Job!
    I don't agree with Charlotsometimes. Due to the fact that pre-teens and teens are only "Forgetful" when it is something that they think they can get away with. Whether it's something they don't want to do or is in the way of something they'd rather do.
    It's important to set bounderies, set rules, and follow through with said things. Your son didn't do as he was asked and you were being really light on him about getting it done. He didn't follow through, so you had to up the annie to get what needed to be done. Your son made his choice not to follow through with it. You're doing the right thing by making him be responsible for his choice. Don't give up on him because he's deciding that he'd rather you do his job for him. That's not fair to anyone.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:08 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I think it's fair, I started doing my own laundry about then.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 8:56 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I would have done the same. He had been told many many times to bring down his laundry. He did not do so. He gets to pay the consequences by doing his own laundry. He is old enough to learn responsibility
    victoriamom2007

Answer by victoriamom2007 at 8:57 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• i think you were pretty fair with him .there is nothing wrong with making him do his own wash as long as he knows how to do it the right way .and it will only teach him for the future .
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 8:57 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• i think that it is Fair- maybe, with a little help from Mom every now & then!
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 8:58 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Mine were all doing their own wash exclusively by the time they were 12. I would def. have made him do all of it today. I probably would have told him after he was finished that if he ever did that again he would be doing it all, fulltime. Also he needs a deadline. By such and such a time you will be responsible for all your own laundry.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:59 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Yes! I tell my five yr old just about the same thing. They help me load the dryer at least. I put everything on the door, and they take turns pushing it in the dryer. My son used to hide stuff in his closet, but I told him when I gather laundry I would not LOOK for it. Either put it where it belongs or it will not get washed. Now they throw their clothes to the bottom of the stairs- laundry door is to the right of the stairs! lol I think this is pretty fair so long as he can easily reach inside the drum to switch it over. Now if only I could get my husband to do this....Lmao!!
    KariLyn84

Answer by KariLyn84 at 9:00 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• The only thing you have to stay on top of,,is that he does his laundry. That has always been a thing for me threw the years and still is. I do not want my kid going to school in soiled, wrinkled or smelly clothes. Thats just a thing with me. So make sure, even though he is in charge of his laundry now, that you set a time and certain days that he has to wash. Because at 10, he is going to forget. Heck at 50 they forget! lol
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 9:00 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I think you're being fair. He's 10 years old and he should be helping out his very pregnant mommy when she needs it.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 9:00 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I think it's a bit much- but if you are gonna make it his job, I would say remind him here and there
    10 yr olds can be pretty forgetful ;)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:01 PM on Aug. 22, 2010