Do you need a experience or a certification to work as a Pharmacy technican?

I am interested in being a pharmacy tech, I have looked into the appropriate schooling however i did hear that some places dont require any experience or will get you the training that you need while you are working there- just dont know if this is true or not. I was on the CVS caremark career site and they have positions available but it does not list requirements like it does for other positions such as beauty advisor.... So confused any help with be great

LuvsDanika

Asked by LuvsDanika at 9:21 PM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

• My bet is there is an assistant and tech. a tech requiring at least a certificate course. Here's what I found.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:23 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• calling and finding out from them is your best bet.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:24 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I believe an actual "tech" would require some certification, but simply being a cashier in that area might not. Go in and ask! It may give you an advantage to let the manager know you're interested, rather than a faceless app sent in over the internet.
    MonicaE521

Answer by MonicaE521 at 9:25 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• It depends on the Pharm. and your state laws. Most places like RiteAid or CVS have their own in house cert. program you can go through.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:30 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• You can probably start off that way, but you would need the training and certificate to say become a tech at a hospital pharmacy or advance your career in anyway. Call CVS's HR department and ask some questions. Maybe you can complete your schooling while working for CVS.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:24 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I got my ceritification through US Career Institute...great school and it's all done at home at your own time.
    NicoR

Answer by NicoR at 11:26 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I am a Certified Pharmacy Technician. When I started out I was working for Walgreens in the pharmacy, they gave me the training and the classes to get my certification....supplied all of my books too.Then they paid for me to take the certification test to become nationally certified. Once I passed the test I got a raise.So it definitely is possible to get the training on the job.
    However to me, the pay isn't so great to warrant paying big bucks to some 'for profit' school.They aren't looking at what school you went to, they are looking only for your certification. You technically never have to attend a school to take the certification test. The test is administered twice a year at a pre-determined location. Anyone can take the test as long as you have the $150 (could be more) to take the test.My husband had to get his certification too (he's a store mgr), he passed on the first try and never took a class but has experience
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:09 PM on Aug. 23, 2010