This can't be from teething can it?

My DD has been getting her top 2 teeth at the same time for the last month. They are both threw now. She's had diarrhea on & off for a few weeks but this last week she's had diarrhea everyday, 3-6 times a day & sometimes it's mucousy. She has a terrible rash reguardless of the precautions I've taken by coating her entire butt & vaginal area with vaseline every diaper change. I've been using diaper rash cream to heal it but it's getting worse. She did feel a little warm yesterday but her temp didn't go over 100. She's been drinking her bottles fine & I haven't introduced any new foods. I also give her water inbetween bottles this past week to make sure she is staying hydrated. She isn't acting sick at all.

This can't be from teething can it? I am calling her pedi first thing in the morning but wondering what some of you ladies think about this.

Marix3

Asked by Marix3 at 9:45 PM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sounds like the Rotavirus

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:46 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Is she drooling a ton? My DD always had mucousy diarrhea whenever she was teething really bad, however not as long as you've mentioned. it might be a virus. If she's not acting sick, she's peeing, etc, I would keep on eye on it for a few more days. Poor girl. Have you tried A&D Ointment? it works wonders for diaper rash.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 9:49 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Take her to the pediatrician just to make sure nothing is wrong with her. They will tell you there is no "proven connection" between teething and a lot of what you wrote. However, with more saliva they can get diarhea. And for whatever reason it has more acid in it which gives the diaper rash, I think. In addition to vaseline put some corn starch in there, cleared my son's up faster than anything else. If she is drinking her bottles she shouldn't be dehydrated, but water isn't a bad thing as long as it's not a lot of water. And both my kids had low grade temps like that when teething, especially the top teeth. My one son's nose was so bad with the top teeth, plus seasonal allergies he got an ear infection (of which he was already prone). Ahh the joys of motherhood with the babies in their first year. Good luck!!
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:51 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• No drooling anymore. I've tried many diaper rash creams & ointments, nothing seems to work=[

I did look up Rotavirus & she does have those symptoms. She was vomiting at one point a few weeks ago. I'm getting her in to see the pedi first thing in the morning. Thank you both!
    Marix3

Comment by Marix3 (original poster) at 9:52 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• no diaper = no diaper rash
    Air and leaving it alone is the best remedy. Keep urine and feces off of it by following the principles of elimination communication. the rash will be better very quickly.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:25 AM on Aug. 23, 2010