Spin off question about different races

I just read the doll question and it made me wonder about something. Some people say that being white is better than any other race, but I disagree. I think that white people experience racism and discrimination like those of other races. For example, if you see 3 women standing together and they're all the same height, age, and build (average, mid twenties, really curvy), but different races (white, black, Hispanic) which do you think looks better? Which do you think looks worse? Most people I know will say that the white girl looks the worst and that the girls of other races look better. The opposite seems to apply with really thin girls, though. I grew up with my family telling me that my butt was too big and looked like "a black girl's butt" and it was too big because I'm white.

Do you think that different races are conditioned to believe that because of their race they should look a certain way, act a certain way, etc.?

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 9:46 PM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think every race has a different standard of pretty. Idk I seem to think of the saying some guys like skinny girls and some guys like thicker girls, some guys like big butts and some like small butts, some guys like big boobs and some like small ones.... its a prefernce thing.
    MrsFlorzak

Answer by MrsFlorzak at 9:57 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Sorry, but I've never experienced racism as a white person.
    Rnurse

Answer by Rnurse at 9:58 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Stereotypes are natural
    Heck, In Haiti The bigger the woman is the better, a big woman represents wealth and that is what the men like there.
    I'm mixed wht/blk my family never pressured me to look a certain way, neither my white side or my black side
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 9:57 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• My daughter lives and works in So America. She has milky white skin and big green eyes- definitely a minority. In So America when you apply for a job you must include your photo. My daughter has been told that your appearance counts, big time.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:16 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Which one acts kinder. Which one has a better heart figure that out you find my answer. Beauty is more important on the inside.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 10:50 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• My husband loves me wrinkles, gray hair and all. That is the only thing that matters with me, and I feel the same way about him.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 11:22 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Of these three women, one of them is going to be prettiest, I don't care what anybody says!
    I have seen women of all three races where I said, "Gee, I wish I looked like her!"

The fact is is that the most beautiful is the most beautiful, what ever color!

There are some facial features that are the best to have, if deciding who's the prettiest is your concern, no matter what color the skin they occur with.
    To say that the West's idea of who is beautiful is flawed is ridiculous!
    Like the concept of who's beautiful in Tibet is is more valid?
    Says who?

All of these questions around what society finds most attractive and race really need to be replaced with this question:
    Is it fair that the world is nicer to beautiful people ?
    That's really the crux of the matter and the reality is what REALLY bugs people!

Whomever you see little kids staring at, she's the most beautiful. because little kids don't lie!
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 5:01 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I haven't experienced racism by not being hired or not given a loan. But there was this one experience I always questioned. I applied at a bank and they were requiring someone who spoke spanish. Now I am not very fluent now but at the time I could speak it and understand it pretty well. But I am also fluent in ASL. But they hired a Hispanic woman who ONLY spoke spanish ( I know because it was my bank and she would direct non spanish speaking to the next window).... I didn't understand it. I just figured my spanish wasn't up to par. I still feel I was better qualified though lol
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 5:56 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I have experienced racism for being white (I loathe that term, btw). And it's rather deflating. I was very good at my job, but I wasn't allowed to be good at my job there. because my skin color affected the way I was perceived. It nearly caused me to leave my field; it certainly caused me to change jobs.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 7:09 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I have experinced PLENTY of racism as a white person. It really depends on where you grew up and live. Growing up, the neighborhoods I lived in I was the "minority". I heard all kinds of crazy things. Girls didn't like me and picked fights with me, IMO because I was the white girl. I was looked at as "weak" and constantly had to "prove" myself as a teenager. Just because I liked a certian kind of music, or liked to wear a certain style of clothes I was always "trying to be black". As for the getting job references, I think it's all about how you present yourself. You have to dress the part. But there are still those few instances. I can remember when I was 17, I tried to get a job at a fast food place.... I had been working in a previous one for the past 2 years in a different location, never had one problem...great refs from my previous employers... this new place i was applying for didn't have a single white person there..
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 8:37 AM on Aug. 23, 2010