Have you tried angel food?

Last month I asked a question about making your food budget go farther. Someone suggested angel food. I picked up the order yesterday and we figured out that for $31 we had enough for 7 main dish dinners not to mention the veggies, eggs and milk. Thank you to those who suggested it!

scout_mom

Asked by scout_mom at 9:47 PM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I have heard of Angel Food Ministeries. But, haven't tried them yet. Keep thinking about it. Then, missing the order date. UGH!
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 9:49 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I'm not thrilled with them. The food is honestly no cheaper through them than it is through WalMart - at least not here. SOME of their boxes are a good value, but most aren't really that good. So I prefer to just shop WalMart and leave it at that.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:51 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• We tried it a few times, but the quality of the food was so hit and miss with it, we decided it'd be better just to spend a little more for healthy food.
    musicalbabe85

Answer by musicalbabe85 at 9:54 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I used to do it, especially before babies. But I am allergic, or overly sensitive to preservatives and other things. So I ended up giving some of it away to my brother because it made me sick. But since I have had babies with allergies, I can't get it. I have 2 glutten free babies, fun fun. But if we weren't all so allergic to everything I would get it again!! But where I am at, it's mostly processed food.....if it was more staples for baking I would be all for it. But I used to volunteer handing it out, before babies too LOL It is an awesome thing for most people!
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:55 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• We love Angel Food & order it every month. The menu & food itself has improved incredibly the last year. They also have an allergen-free box with all kinds of food free of all the ingredients that people are most allergic to. They do a field check regularly of the monthly menus at all the most popular grocery stores across the country (including Walmart) & they are still cheaper for the identical items from the store. Most people don't know that all of their food is actually name brand food that is specially packaged for Angel Food. Some of their biggest suppliers are Tyson & ConAgra~ the exact food you find in the grocery stores.

ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 10:46 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Haven't tried it because when I do look it up not only have I just missed that month's order date but most of the stuff doesn't look like anything my family will eat. I'm glad you like it though, I know more people who are happy with it!
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 10:57 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• I have looked into it before...it's been awhile. While it is probably a good deal for those who eat a variety of meats, most packages have way more meat than we eat. We eat mostly chicken and rarely beef, even more rarely pork. Most of the packages that have chicken have prebreaded stuff that we don't use. I just can't see buying a box of fresh veggies and fruits that I haven't looked at before. I prefer selecting those myself to make sure there are no bad spots and bruising.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 10:03 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I use them periodically. Their meat isn't too bad either.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:04 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I think it's a great organization for people in need during these economic times.  Food is food to me and it's really a lot better food than what I grew up having. 

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 11:44 PM on Aug. 24, 2010