I need help!

Ok my 4 year old has been dragging bedtime out for up to 3 hours. Heres the deal. I co -slept until she was 3, she and her big sister share a room, her sister goes to bed and goes to sleep within minutes she also just started kindergarten so she needs her sleep. My 4 year old will not go to sleep, she will get up 500 times, I put her back to bed and tuck her in kiss her tell her I love her and to go sleep, she still gets up OR she yells, screams and cries until I or my husband go into her room. There is nothing wrong with her, she is tired when she goes to bed, I usually end up laying down with her after a few hours just to get her to sleep. I CAN NOT continue this, my older child has to get a full nights sleep! I need a little time to get some rest! She needs her rest! ANY IDEAS? I really need help I am at my wits end. I am almost in tears some nights from this. Help me! Please!

BusyBeesmom

Asked by BusyBeesmom at 9:55 PM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would be in tears or irrate at the end of the night. Good luck. I have no ideas, since she shares a room. If she wasn't sharing a room I would say, shut her in there and let her scream it out....after a week or so they learn you aren't coming back in there and bed time is bed time. Period. Or so all the experts say! Hope you get some better advice.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:58 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Don't talk to her when you put her back to bed. You are giving her the attention she is after. As far as your older one, invest in some ear plugs until this blows over.
    Kaelaasmom

Answer by Kaelaasmom at 9:58 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• The Nanny would have you sit on the floor in the room and just keep putting the child back to bed without saying a word. No interaction positive or negative.
    The other child should not have to be disturbed by this.
    Perhaps you could have the other child in your room to start and then move her once you get the screamer to sleep.
    Wow, This is a hard one.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:02 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Hello I had the same issue before let me tell you a secrect try a warm bath before bedtime with baby bedtime lotion also there is a store called bath and body works check the mall and they have lanavder spray I sprayed some on her pillow and was out works great try that holly
    HOLLY644

Answer by HOLLY644 at 10:11 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• i agree with the other mommies gl
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 11:06 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• maybe she is getting scared of the dark? does she have night lights in her room? my girls had a tough time for a while at about 3 years before I realized they were trying to tell me they were scared of the dark. I got them glow worms and they were fine, there own personal source of light.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 11:32 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• You should watch supernanny and try her stay in bed technique. It worked wonders for our girls and all four sleep through the night.
    Technique- when she gets out of bed the first time take her back and say "its bedtime darling", the second time take her back and say "bedtime", the third time she gets out take her back and say nothing. Any time after that do no speak to her as it rewards her. Do not go into the room when she screams either. I know this may be uncomfortable for your older daughter but if u do the technique right it should work pretty fast and then they can both get their sleep. Hope this helps. Good luck
    Sparkle-Mom

Answer by Sparkle-Mom at 10:32 AM on Aug. 23, 2010

• There needs to be a consequence for getting up that many times -- a pinch on the toosh, a meany mommy look, something. No hugs, no talking ( for the excessive times getting up). How has your older daughter not woken up and told her to be quiet??
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:17 PM on Aug. 25, 2010