• In the Spotlight:

will my insurance still pay if the keys were in the car?

SO! my car got stolen last night from my DRIVEWAY and i was wonderin if anyone knew if the insurance will still pay even tho the keys were in it...ive heard ppl say both....my insurance is state farm i have full coverage...just wonderin if anyone could help out

tlgifford

Asked by tlgifford at 10:02 PM on Aug. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

• Everyone should read musicmom08's link.... If your car has full coverage from State Farm... you should be just fine! Leaving the keys in it might not be a smart thing to do, but if it is stolen they will not deny the claim.

WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 10:26 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Read this answer.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 10:10 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• if you carelessly left your keys in the car I dont think so but you never know call their 24/7 support line if they have one
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:03 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• My parents insurance wouldn't pay if the keys were in the car. They had a car stollen. I don't know about ours. I don't leave the care unlocked in the driveway.
    Jadegirl1819

Answer by Jadegirl1819 at 10:05 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• yikes i don't know. but i wuold assume no. but you have full coverage, so maybe????????????
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 10:05 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• um...your gonna have to ask. you cant lie about that and say the keys werent in it, so the insurance is gonna have to know and they will tell you. that sucks though!
    Shani527

Answer by Shani527 at 10:07 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• i wondered about that myself we had a bad ignition for a while and we had to leave the keys in the ignition ad had to turn the key back but not all the way back we always locked it but i wondered if it got stolen if insurance would cover it good luck hope the police find it!
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 10:11 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• Contributory negligence. They probably won't pay.
    Kaelaasmom

Answer by Kaelaasmom at 10:12 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• no they won't, it will be your fault so they will not cover it. I know someone, not me, who did that and they just lied, not telling you to lie, but that is why I know they will not cover it, plus this person was an insurance broker himself so he already knew.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 10:12 PM on Aug. 22, 2010

• We have full coverage through State Farm and no, it is not covered since you left the keys in. DH has asked because there have been problems with "thefts" in our town in the last year (1 kid, "steals" vehicles, joyrides, and returns the vehicle, has been caught & reprimanded but still, we checked it out because I have a bad habit).
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 10:51 PM on Aug. 22, 2010