how do I get my son to relize that going to the potty is just as important as watching sponge bob

i've tried every attempt to let my son know that going to the bathroom on the potty is the thing to do. I've tried the rewards system, time out system and taking away things that he enjoys to do and he still fights me everyway he can. He just doesn't seem to grasp the concept. What do I do?????

jewels430

Asked by jewels430 at 8:35 PM on Oct. 8, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'm not being mean, but turn off the TV. I never had this issue when my daughter was potty training, but sometimes if she's watching something, she tunes me out, so I shut it off and leave if off the rest of the night. And there are days the TV doesn't even get turned on.
    WadeMom313

Answer by WadeMom313 at 8:39 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• They just get so wrapped up in the show, they forget about other things and sometimes tune out the world, so sometimes that's all you can do!!
    WadeMom313

• I had this problem with my daughter when she was younger. Finally we found something that worked... We bought her a kitchen timer that Looked like a Kitten. We set it for 45 minutes. Every time the timer went off she would run to the bathroom and then she would set the timer for another 45 minutes. Eventually she made it a habit to go to the bathroom without the timer.
    Hope this helps :-)
    rivmom

Answer by rivmom at 9:14 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• oh my i was going to suggest turning the tv off. no more sponge bob till you go potty
    Mimomof3boys

Answer by Mimomof3boys at 10:18 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• What I do is make sure that they go and sit on the potty before sponge bob, and then we go during a commercial break, if they didn't go before the show, and then we go again after it is over. This way we both win, they don't miss their show, and I don't have to clean anything up!
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 9:21 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Thank you all for your suggestions. I'm going to try the kitchen timer since it is right next to the bathroom. Wish me luck and have a happy and healthy New Year!!!!!
    jewels430

Answer by jewels430 at 7:31 PM on Dec. 29, 2009