Home made blankets

i'm looking for ways to make extra money, and i was thinking of making the tie-blankets. I really like making them, and if i give them as a gift, people really love them. Should I look into maybe selling them? How much would you charge for one?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:38 PM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Hobbies & Crafts

• My grandmother bought one for my daughter when she was born and I love them. I don't know how much the supplies cost or if you'd make much money at this price, but it was a little bigger than a receiving blanket and she paid $20 for it.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:56 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Make sure you have a market for them. Maybe a craft bizarre or something to that nature. There will be many coming up this fall in time for Christmas. Contact some local churches, they seem to have quite a few Bizzare's this time of year.....
    taracv

Answer by taracv at 10:30 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• try this link for a tutorial.

http://www.allkindsofbabystuff.com/
    CookieZenmilk

Answer by CookieZenmilk at 1:43 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I love those too my mom went crazy making those last year that was everyones christmas presants. I don't know if they would sell very good though but maybe worth a try.
    BabyGsMaMa13

Answer by BabyGsMaMa13 at 4:39 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• I love making those too! But I think by the time you pay for the material and the time it takes to make it, you aren't making much off it, if anything. I've been down that road.
    jojo13

Answer by jojo13 at 11:11 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Yeah, I don't know how profitable that would be. You gotta think, it takes atleast $20 to get the materials to make a big one, then like one lady said before me, her grandmother bought a SMALL one for $20. So maybe $30 for a big one? But I don't know who would want to spend that considering they are so easy to make. What if you learned to quilt or knit? Those would probably sell better and for more money, especially quilts. You can sell them on Ebay.
    pinkflamingo783

Answer by pinkflamingo783 at 12:14 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• If this is something you really want to do it would be better to buy bulk quantities of inexpensive (yet good quality) fabric.  It's usually cheaper to buy more.  But you have to think about your price because different kinds cost different prices.  Say you are making a baby size blanket that takes a total of 3 yards, your pattern lets say is 5.00/yd and your solid is 4.00/yd then that's 13.50 total cost, then the lets say the hour it takes to make it, you sell for 20.00 then your only making 6.50 an hour.  This would have to be a full time job and some to make anything to count.

kbiggers

Answer by kbiggers at 1:14 PM on Oct. 14, 2008