When is my hair going to stop falling out?

I know that after you give birth you lose a lot of hair. But when is it supposed to stop? I feel like it comes out by the hand full. I'm 4 months post partum. I breastfeed exclusivly. I don't know it this makes it worse, but maybe. Am I going to be bald or what?

MaMaMo531

Asked by MaMaMo531 at 8:38 PM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have the same question. I have to empty the hairbrush and the drain in the shower daily. I don't want to be bald. lol
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:40 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• With every pregnancy it was different, but my hair stopped falling out in big clumps, or it seemed between 6 and 9 months post pardum. My last baby is going on 3mths and I'm still shedding like the dog. Hopefully, that helps. It could be shorter or longer, everyone is different. Good news though is you won't be bald.
    lilmomma4

Answer by lilmomma4 at 8:54 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• You won't go bald, but my daughter is 14 months old and it just recently stopped coming out like crazy.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 9:08 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Hmm...mine stopped in 4-5 wks. Not sure why yours is so much longer.
    SugaB28

Answer by SugaB28 at 9:48 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Mine still hasn't stopped & my son is almost 10 months. I clean out the drain everyday & my brush & then get all the hairs that fell out all over my shoulders while I was brushing my hair. I'm also anemic though so I really don't know.
    bassyentihw

Answer by bassyentihw at 9:55 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I heard that if you continue taking your prenatals then you wont have as bad of hair loss if you werent taking them. I heard that from my sister who heard it from one of the gals that has cut her hair. She started taking them again and the hair loss wasnt as bad. I hope this helped!
    taracv

Answer by taracv at 10:28 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Mine usually starts around 4 months and gets better around 7 but not fully stopping until over a yr (sorry probably not what you want to hear lol) Don't forget that during pregnancy you make a LOT more hair, so your basically just shedding the extra hair from pregnancy. This might help: Postpartum hair loss Find out why your hair falls out, when it happens, and what you can do about it.... read more

pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 10:29 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I'm 3 months post partum and my hair hasn't starting falling out yet, and my nails are still so strong that I've had to trim them a few times, because they get in the way and I'm afraid I'll scratch my baby. I'm afraid of what is to come. The only thing may save me is that I have very thick hair in the first place and I didn't really notice a huge increase in hair, so maybe this whole thing will skip right over me . . . I will miss my nails though!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 7:19 AM on Oct. 9, 2008