do you feel church is "play"

i went my whole life to an pentecostal church and now i look back and it just seems that everyone was playing. if u want drama go to church. it seems like all people do is complain and talk about each other or suck up to the pastor cause they want a certain office in the church.i believe in God but i want to go to a church that people actually act like God intended them to.

marykaysauer

Asked by marykaysauer at 8:43 PM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I know exactly how you feel. I was raised in a Nazarene Church. When I moved away, I visited several churches trying to find one that I liked & could get involved in. I quit going, sad to say, because I can't stand hypocrites, gossipers, etc. Every church I went to seemed like a place to bash other people.
    I stood up in 3 churches & flat out told them what I thought about how their members acted in church as well as out & that I would not be a member of such a church. I no longer go to church but have more faith than most. It's really strange, I talk more about God in public places than most people that go to church. And I thought the whole purpose of church was to "spread the Gospel".
    jon6pat

Answer by jon6pat at 8:51 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I think you need to try out some other churches. That said, no church is perfect, nor are the people who make up a church - any church. They are all sinners, saved by the grace of God. I think what's more important is how the pastor/elders/leaders handles these things in the church. Do they allow it to continue, do they preach against it, do they have ways of restoring the church and those who do sin? That's more important to me than finding a perfect church simply b/c one just doesn't exist but these things should be allowed though either, at least not without some accountability, kwim?
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 9:26 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• If you're looking for a church with a perfect congregation, you will never find it! I also felt the same way you do at one time, went to numerous churches and was disgusted at the people that attended. Everyone seemed to be more worried about who was wearing what, what so-n-so's kid did, etc... The church I attend now (United Pentecostal) I absolutely love! Of course, there are the old biddy's in the church that talk about this one and that one...but like the previous poster stated, it's how the pastor and elders handle the situations when they arise. When you find a church where you truly feel God's prescense you'll know that's where you should be.
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 9:36 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I attended church regularly with my parents as a child and spent most of my late teens and early 20's doing whatever I wanted without reguard to my spiritual health. I didnt have the desire to attend church or even seek God until after I married my husband. We were going through a rough patch in our lives financially and I suggested that we go back to church together with the hope that we would be blessed. And we were.... We havent been so faithful in attending regular meetings and I can tell the difference. Just pray... If you attend a church and want to know if it is the right one for you, Just pray and you will know the answer in your heart!
    taracv

Answer by taracv at 10:23 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• The important thing to remember is that Christianity is about Christ not what other people do. Of course there are those who are playing at church. There are however, real people who really do love God and try to live for Him. When we stand before God we can't blame others for the choice we made while here. The Bible says that all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. We have all sinned. We all need a Savior. Being a Christian does not mean a person is now perfect. Being a christian means I realize that I am a sinner and need Jesus to forgive me and save me. God is real the key is to keep our eyes on him and not on what other people do. You mess up, I mess up, others mess up too. That is why Christ died.
    lissue

Answer by lissue at 12:27 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Yes, I do. I see some Church members acting so good and innocent, until they leave, then it;s a different story. Soon as they walk out they are gossiping, cussing, smoking, and saying bad things about the Church they were just in, I go to the Kingdom Hall because when I see people come out of there, I don't see all of that stuff, I see people talking about God, and how they are going to go out and spread the word. That's the way I think it should be. I am not saying they are perfect, cause there are no perfect humans alive. But at least I see a lot of happy people, eager to go out and do Gods Will.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:16 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Yes I agree, most churches (at least the 10-12 Ive been to in my lifetime) are just like country clubs. Its all about what your wearing, how much money you have, your social status, its just a creepy social game if you ask me. I have been to churches who have turned away a homeless man out of fear and ignorance. I have been to churches where they pass a collection plate around and shame people into donating, because all eyes are on you and watching what you put in....this means the 78 yr old lady who is barely able to afford her meds and groceries, has to faithfully contribute her weekly $ for the church. dispicable.

theQueenB

Answer by theQueenB at 10:35 AM on Oct. 9, 2008